petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I'm growing corn for the first time also. I chose "Early Sunglow" because it is an old hybrid, not a super sweet kind. My crop failed last year, so I"m excited to see how much my stalks grow every day this year!

My thought behind the variety I picked was that I don't like how sweet these new hybrids make the corn! They don't taste like corn anymore. For next year, I might try an heirloom black type.

MaryDel

petalfuzz wrote:I'm growing corn for the first time also. I chose "Early Sunglow" because it is an old hybrid, not a super sweet kind. My crop failed last year, so I"m excited to see how much my stalks grow every day this year!

My thought behind the variety I picked was that I don't like how sweet these new hybrids make the corn! They don't taste like corn anymore. For next year, I might try an heirloom black type.

Which of the new hybrids have you tried?

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Oh, I'm just talking about the kind in the stores, when I say new hybrid. We're big corn-country around here so the farmers always latch onto the newest and sweetest hybrids (sh2, or se). But to my taste, they don't taste like corn anymore. Hence, growing my own!

rootsy
Green Thumb

petalfuzz wrote:Oh, I'm just talking about the kind in the stores, when I say new hybrid. We're big corn-country around here so the farmers always latch onto the newest and sweetest hybrids (sh2, or se). But to my taste, they don't taste like corn anymore. Hence, growing my own!
Where are you at in NW Ohio? I live about 30 miles directly North of the Ohio, Indiana, Michigan tri-state line...

Definitely not going to find many commercial growers opting for Su varieties do to aforementioned reasons of low sugar content, short harvest window and poor holding prior to and after harvest.

I grew up on IoChief...

dixiedazzle
Newly Registered

This year I grew Peaches & Cream, a sweet bicolor. I also switched my garden to square foot gardening. I harvested the last of it a couple of days ago, 35 ears from a 4 x 4 plot. We had already pulled enough for supper for a couple of nights. I used to grow Kandy Korn, one of the first super sweets, several years ago. I have pics on my blog at [url]https:/digginwithdixie.blogspot.com[/url]

MaryDel

dixiedazzle wrote:This year I grew Peaches & Cream, a sweet bicolor. I also switched my garden to square foot gardening. I harvested the last of it a couple of days ago, 35 ears from a 4 x 4 plot. We had already pulled enough for supper for a couple of nights. I used to grow Kandy Korn, one of the first super sweets, several years ago. I have pics on my blog at [url]https:/digginwithdixie.blogspot.com[/url]
I've grown peaches and cream and it has turned out well. The ears were a little on the small side but tasty.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Ambrosia for the past several years. This Year I planted Ambrosia, Bodacious, and Incredible. I like the Ambrosia, but am always interested in trying new things. All of these are SE type.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

In years past, it's always been peaches and cream for me. However, I grew Ambrosia and Kandy Korn this time, and it doesn't even compare to P&C. The only downside to it is it's small size, but boy does it pack a punch!

EG

MaryDel

jal_ut wrote:Ambrosia for the past several years. This Year I planted Ambrosia, Bodacious, and Incredible. I like the Ambrosia, but am always interested in trying new things. All of these are SE type.
JAL, let us know how the Bodacious turns out. I've also heard great reports on that variety.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”