RuHappy69

What to plant in July - Zone 6

Hey all, I'm thinking that by July my Broccoli will be spent (not much of a good yield this year considering how much space they took up). I will rip them out (or cut them close to the base so not to disturb other roots) but what can I plant there in the heat of July/August that will do well?

JoshT
Newly Registered

There was another thread like this last week. A bunch of folks suggested bush beans.

applestar
Mod

BUSH BEANS!! :() Cukes and Zukes/Summer squash that mature under 60 days up to 70 days too.

I'm also continuing to sow carrots (hard to keep the seedbed moist though -- they say to put cardboard or piece of wood over them until the seeds sprout) I've scattered dill and cilantro seeds. Dill should come up, cilantro usually comes up after things cool down a bit.

At this point, a lot of new plants I start will be with an eye towards fall harvest as well as ability to take the frost. Carrots should be able to stay in the ground. I'm going to start fall broccoli and cauliflower soon (as well as red Cabbage and red Kale as ornamental edibles, maybe also (if I can get seeds) Flowering Cabbage and Kale that can actually be eaten since I'll be growing them organically). I plan on trying to direct sow outdoors as well as starting seedlings indoors. I'm going to try fall peas this year, though Rutgers Ag Extension publications indicate that peas don't do so well in fall (in NJ). Pre-sprout indoors, then sow as soon as roots start to grow around 2nd week of July. Early August is the time to sow spinach, which in NJ *IS* supposed to do better in fall than spring. I bought both Bloomsdale Longstanding and Winter Bloomsdale, which you are supposed to be able to keep in the ground with mulch and protection.

You can SOW seeds BEFORE you take out the broccoli. Move mulch aside, if there are any, layer some compost and gently rake it in between the broccoli plants, and sow your seeds. Cut the broccoli at ground level to take them out when it's time.
Last edited by applestar on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

One year I didn't plant anything until the 2nd week of July.

If you still have 3 months of growing season left then you can plant a lot of things. Many crops are 65 days. There are some crops that are longer.

mwookie
Newly Registered

When is the best time to start fall lettuce? I know we have a long growing season, but I worry that it won't do well as a seedling in our 95+ degree weather right now. When is the latest you can start (I think I am a zone 6b).

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'd say beans, summer squash, swiss chard are all good considerations. You can even plant some early-maturing variety pumpkins or watermelon.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's a zone 5-6 planting schedule, gives you some guidance when to plant various seeds for fall crop:

https://www.thevegetablegarden.info/resources/planting-schedules/zones-5-6-planting-schedule

LittleMama

I planted bush beans and brussel sprouts today. Not sure if I timed the BS right though..... but I'm planning on waiting until August for my broccoli.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”