leebug1219
Newly Registered

Self Watering

I am new to this and did not know about self watering when I started. I have read up on them and have a question. Right now my plants are in 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled on the bottom and around the sides to be able to drain. If I took a tote (those rubbermaid things that are great for storing anything...) and placed the buckets inside of those and put water in it would it act as a reservoir by letting the buckets and plants get water through the drain holes? It has been extremely hot this summer and I am having trouble keeping up with watering as much as my plants need.
Thanks
Elicia

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Should work for bottom watering. What you need to be careful of in a system like that is not to put too much water in the tote or whatever you are using as a reservoir.

The actual self watering pots have a screen between the soil and the water, so the soil is not actually sitting in the water. Then there is some sort of wicking process.

(here's an article about how to make one:

https://www.seattleoil.com/Flyers/Earthbox.pdf )

If you have your soil sitting in the water all the time, it can stay too wet and water-logged and cause problems. To do bottom watering (I do it all the time for starting seeds/seedlings in pots which are in trays, so I just pour water into the tray and never water the pots) you just put a little water in the "tray" or outer container, enough that the pot(s) can soak it all up fairly quickly and then aren't still sitting in water.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, what you are talking about is also known as bottom-watering, something seed-starters do all the time.

In addition to the method RG suggested, you can also set your buckets in water, and then just remove them to a dry tray once they have absorbed enough water. Repeat whenever necessary.

Good luck :).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”