Binkalette

Perennials and crop rotation?

So I've been reading over and over again not to plant the same thing in the same spot year after year, but what do you all do about perennials? My rhubarb and chives are in the same spot they were in last year. I haven't had any issues yet this year, but will I need to dig them up and move them at some point? Only if I run into problems?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The crop rotation is for annuals. The things like rhubarb stay in one spot. Rhubarb can be divided and spread or moved and doesn't seem to mind it, but there's no reason to do it just for "rotation" purposes.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

The main purpose for crop-rotation is to prevent the build-up of pests or disease in one area of the soil. By changing the host plant, the diseases can't flourish year over year. Really, it's best to rotate families, for example, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and potatoes are all of the same family.

Now, if you have a smaller garden, it may be near impossible for you to not plant any plants of a family where plants of that family grew the year before. However, it would probably be sufficient to at least rotate varieties.

But, as RBG said, that all has to do with annuals, or at least what grow as annuals more or less (tomatoes, for example, are really perennials when grown in the right conditions).

Perennials, especially herbs, tend not to suffer from disease build-up like other crops do.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”