cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

To late to plant potatos?

Ok, so there is all this talk of potato's going around... I myself have never grown any except for the ones in the cupboard or the ones I chopped up and threw in the compost (big mistake should have saved the sucker...) :shock:

Anyway, so its almost July, I am in California (Northern Sacramento area) is it too late to plant potato's? Or should I just wait until next year? If its ok to plant now, what are good ones to plant for this time of year?

Thanks!!

I wish my husband liked sweet potato's... I might try them too!!!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

WOW :!: 90s to 100F Now that's stinking hot. :shock:

I would wait until it cools down. When is your average frost or do you ever have frost :?: Take this date and count back, say, 90 days. I would plant your potatoes then. Potatoes do much better in 70F range.

Maybe chose a variety like Red LaSoda. It was breed for southern climate.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

You had me at sweet potatoes. (Gix Drooling)............................ :P

Not to sure if it is too late and I don't care I just planted some again because mine went down in a bad way. But I'm going to try again and see what happens.

Good luck if you decide to plant.

Now is a good time for sweets though and you wouldn't believe how great they are from your own garden. Sweets love it hot and poor soil they just don't care either.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Yeah it rained this morning, and now its supposed to be 100 on Sunday :shock:

I could throw a few sweet potato's in there and see what happens... hmmm... or I will just wait for my fall crops to start going in.

Thanks for the advice! Glad I didnt go out and grab a bunch of spuds and attempt to grow them without checking first.

Thanks again everyone!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”