Skoorbmax
Cool Member

Caught in the act! What bug is this?=Japanese Beetles

This should be an easy one, caught this buggers on my vine bean leaves this morning. If somebody here can ID them I'll get some spray for the leaves...

Thanks!

[img]https://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac177/Skoorb100/beetles.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

Those lovebirds are Japanese Beetles. Rather than spraying the entire plant, you can catch them and dispose of them, especially when they are "distracted" :twisted:

When they are becoming an infestation, I use plastic grocery bags either situated below them or enclosing the plant and shake them loose into the bag. I then toss the bag on the ground and stomp on it, doing the "Japanese Beetle Dance" to the tune of the "Mexican Hat Dance. :wink: :lol:

I have read, but have not tried, that crushed beetles blended in water and strained is an effective repellent spray. Has anyone actual experience trying that? I could easily add water to the bag after my dance.... 8)

Skoorbmax
Cool Member

applestar wrote:Those lovebirds are Japanese Beetles. Rather than spraying the entire plant, you can catch them and dispose of them, especially when they are "distracted" :twisted:

When they are becoming an infestation, I use plastic grocery bags either situated below them or enclosing the plant and shake them loose into the bag. I then toss the bag on the ground and stomp on it, doing the "Japanese Beetle Dance" to the tune of the "Mexican Hat Dance. :wink: :lol:

I have read, but have not tried, that crushed beetles blended in water and strained is an effective repellent spray. Has anyone actual experience trying that? I could easily add water to the bag after my dance.... 8)
Thanks--I thought that might be it. They hit a maple tree of mine last year.

I believe that "bug in a bag" attracts a ludicrous amount of these (have done it the last couple of years) if I take that approach instead of spraying. However, I've heard the bug in a bag can also pull J.beetles into the general area.

The problem with your approach is that tomorrow I"m going away for a week so cannot babysit these things and don't want to return to ruin.

Given my pending travel, would bug in a bag work well ? I believe I place it upwind of the plants or should I just get the spray? So far I've only found a few of these things this morning but yesterday and day before there were certainly none.

Sharpy

I found the same thing on my beans today....squished the little buggers!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I then toss the bag on the ground and stomp on it, doing the "Japanese Beetle Dance" to the tune of the "Mexican Hat Dance.
HAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!
I have read, but have not tried, that crushed beetles blended in water and strained is an effective repellent spray.
I have read in several organic and natural remedy books and in Mother Earth News that this is an effective deterrent for Japanese beetles. I have not personally tried it because I don't want to ruin my blender. Although I am a firm believer that saop and water washes all, P.A. is really wigged out by the idea of "Bug Juice" ever occupying the same vessel as his smoothies ;)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

P.A. is really wigged out by the idea of "Bug Juice" ever occupying the same vessel as his smoothies.
Actually, if he's eaten or used anything that is artificially colored red or orange, it may [url=https://www.chow.com/blog/2009/01/now-colored-with-bug-juice/]already have[/url].

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Let's not add fuel to the fire ;) he doesn't even want to eat herbs that I've grown. He's weird...but fabulous!!! :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”