sassyjvg

Saving the Burning Spinach

Is there a possibility to save a patch of spinach that is getting burned pretty badly by the hot temperatures. I was thinking of covering it maybe with dry grass clippings? Is it saveable?

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

I am no expert by far, but I remember when I was first starting my garden everyone here told me to hold off on my spinach because it couldn't handle heat so I was holding off planting mine until the temps cooled down. Good question though! But I don't think its salvageable... I could be wrong though, but I would love to see some answers from those who know!
Good luck with it!!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Being from around St Louis I can tell you that spinach will not last in this heat wave we are in. You can try to shade it and get a little more time out of it but the end is near. Sorry to have to tell you that. Try again this fall around here the fall crops like that do much better than the spring crops cause as you know it goes from winter to summer in like 2.3 minutes. :x

Even my hardy summer crops are hurting, we need a cool period something fierce.

You could cover them and keep them watered with cool water that will help extend the season to a certain extent.

Good luck.

sassyjvg

Thank you for the advice. I thought there might be hope, but I will just have to "take my medicine" and deal with the loss I guess. And like you said, there is always the fall season. I'm just glad I haven't had more lost plants as of yet!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

sassyjvg wrote:Thank you for the advice. I thought there might be hope, but I will just have to "take my medicine" and deal with the loss I guess. And like you said, there is always the fall season. I'm just glad I haven't had more lost plants as of yet!

Last year my fall crops were unstoppable so there is always hope.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, once spinach starts to suffer from heat stress, it is pretty much over for it. It may bolt and make some seed though. Beets and Chard make good greens and are a little more tolerant of heat. All of this stuff needs to be planted in early April, maybe even March for spinach in your area.

Right now I have bucketfuls of spinach. Wish you would drop in and get some.

I can't guess about a fall crop. We get frost so early that fall crops of anything have never worked here. The problem is that to get a fall crop to mature, you need to plant it mid July and its too hot then for cool weather crops to even germinate and grow.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”