Skilling
Newly Registered

Any tips for growing Jalapenos?

As a born and raised Texan, I grew up eating Jalapenos. Even though they are dirt cheap in grocery stores, I decided recently to grow my own. I have one planted in my backyard and the other planted in a pot. The one in the pot is doing outstanding! It's grown about 18 inches over the past few months and have already spit out about 8 or so jalapenos.

The one in the ground, however, isn't doing nearly as well. It hasn't grown as much, and seems to be growing at a slower pace. It produces alot of flowers, but none of them ever turn into peppers. I keep the two plants close to each other, but one is clearly doing better than the other.

Can anybody provide me with some growing tips? Organic fertilizer to use, etc? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sharpy

My guess would be that the soil in the pot is much more fertile...what is the condition of the outside soil? did you amend it with anything?

8 jalapenos already!!! Wow mine are just starting to form....I need to move to Texas!

TWC015

I agree with Sharpy on the fertility issue. It sounds as though your soil needs more nutrients, probably nitrogen.

Otherwise, for me, peppers are very easy to grow; I plant them and forget them. I tilled in compost before planting and haven't fertilized them.

Mine are loaded down with jalapenos now.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”