jakruchten
Newly Registered

Zucchini Stems

My zucchini have started to take over the garden...I have two of them, and I put them in tomato cages, but they still have their leaves and stems spread out all over. They're starting to get close to other vegetables, so I decided to prune back a leaf or two. I went to cut off a leaf and cut through the hollow stem that connects it to the plant, and relatively close to the plant too. I didn't realize they were hollow-I assumed they were thick and that it would just close up. Now I'm worried. Will my zucchini get bacterial infections and die? Is there anything I can do to make sure it stays safe? It's just starting to set fruit...

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I've pruned off leaves on both summer and winter squash. No problem here. You being in a warmer climate maybe different. Do you have problems with diseases or borers :?:

Looking at you forcast, 82F and rain is never a good combination.

jakruchten
Newly Registered

I don't get any problems with the borers or anything-in fact, I've had no bugs at all except for some tiny black bugs that ate tomato seedling leaves, and that was months ago. I've had bees and moths and insects like that, but actually nothing bad! I'm also in brand new soil-nothing has ever been there but grass, so there's nothing in the soil that would cause anything.

The zucchini have been taking off with the rain...same with cukes. I'm just hoping the tomatoes can deal with the weather.

I'll cross my fingers! If not, I have two plants growing...and I'm the only one in the house that will even eat zucchini. I'm certain I will have enough :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”