Tate
Cool Member

Legume Inoculant

Has anyone used inoculant before planting beans or peas? I have a couple of observations on it and a question.

I planted green beans in one raised bed last year. I planted green beans in the same raised bed this year. I did not use inoculant for either planting. I also planted green beans in a new raised bed this year. Again I did not use inoculant.

My green bean harvest came to and end so I cut the plants off at the ground. I left the roots in the ground to rot and not disturb my soil foodweb and provide nitrogen.

Yesterday, I was preparing the beds to plant purple hull peas. I uprooted a couple of the plants in each bed. I noticed the plants in the older bed had the nitrogen fixing nodules attached to the roots. The plants in the newer bed did not have the nodules. I assume the plants in the older bed have the nodules because beans were planted there before, and the bacteria that produces the nodules got into the soil (how? I don't know). The newer bed had no bacteria, therefore, no nodules.

Before planting my purple hulls I got some inoculant. I hope it is the correct kind. I noticed some packages are specific about what they are for. The inoculant I bought mentioned it was for peas. I assume that includes cowpeas. Does anyone have any experience with this? Did I do the right thing here?

Thanks,
Tate

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm not an expert but I think you are right on track here. Pretty sure once you inoculate you don't have to do it at least every year the bacteria stay in the soil providing harsh chemicals aren't used.

Did you notice a size difference in the 2 beds? I inoculated one bed of peas for the first time and the other bed hand none ever. The inoculated bed was head and shoulders above the non inoculated bed.

Tate
Cool Member

The only difference I noticed is the bed without the nodules on the roots got some type of fungus on the leaves. The bed with the nodules did not appear to have the fungus. In the end, the 94 degree temps did the beans in.

Tate

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”