cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Onion Yield?

Hi there!
Another newbie question...
I have a Walla Walla Onion plan growing in my garden and noticed that I was able to see just the very tiny tops of onions growing. Generally how many onions does one plant produce and how in the heck do you know if its ready to be plucked from the ground? I am so anxious to try all the goodies my garden is producing for me, I don't want to get over excited and harvest too early! :oops:

Thanks in advance! :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/onions_08.jpg[/img]

One onion plant makes one onion bulb. When you see the bulbs as in the picture the onions are ready for harvest.

Onions can be harvested at any time in their development. When harvested before the large bulb is formed, they are called scallions or green onions. If let to grow longer, they will make a bulb. Some varieties of onions will not bulb and are called bunching onions and these are grown for scallions.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Ahhhh!!! Ok, thank you!

I purchased one plant, and then later was worried well one plant will only give me one onion, but I think its actually several, because I can see a bunch of well bulbs... I dunno, may have to snap a pic, maybe it was mislabeled... wouldn't surprise me!

Beautiful onions by the way, I hope mine turn out as nice!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”