crobi13

Opinions on my open space

Hi all!
I pulled my iceburg lettuce Sunday and now I have an empty spot in my garden yelling at me to be filled. What would you put there?
A little info: the space is about 6' X 3' & it will be partly shaded by my cukes when they grow up their trellace. I was thinking about trying potatoes but it would be difficult (but not impossible) to get my tools in there to hill them. We have been over 80* every day for the past week with rain off & on.
What do you think would produce the best?

FruitAddict
Cool Member

I'd go with Yellow Wax Beans. Quick grower & Producer and yummy fresh & raw or cooked. Also Beans are good for adding Nitrogen to your soil.. when the plant is done cut off the plant and leave the roots in the ground overwinter.

I've noticed when I plant something close to a bean plant that plant does twice as good as the other ones do. I even tend to plant beans in my flower bed and the flowers are twice the size and flower alot better than ones without a bean plant nearby. I usually have a freezer half full of beans but thats ok because they are all gone by the time I have to start putting some in there again.

JoshT
Newly Registered

Beans have worked well for me when doing a mid-summer planting. Another option might be to check any local plant stores, or like the temporary ones they do in parking lots, and try to get any leftover seedlings for cheap. Around here in MN they are all half off, though there isn't much available to pick from sometimes.

FruitAddict
Cool Member

Another good option is Kohlrabi - one of favorite veggies and its seed in the ground to harverst date is around 50 days. If you're not familar with these give them a try. They're fun & yummy!!!

I should have mentioned they also tolerate colder weather very well and you can even leave them in for a few frosts and that will enhance the flavor of them. I always do a spring crop and a fall crop of Kohlrabi. YUMMY YUMMY.

applestar
Mod

Another vote for bush beans. I like 'Jade' which is a green bean, although I'm trying 'Yellow Pencil Pod' this year as well. They can take a little shade and won't interfere with the cuke on the trellis.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I totally agree with beans as well that is what I will be doing myself. Maybe some swiss chard too that you will still have the greens to eat.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Another vote for bush beans!

crobi13

Thank you, everyone! I got some Yellow beans at Lowes. Now I just need to find the time to get them in the ground. :roll: Can you all help me with that? :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”