Garden Gal
Cool Member

WHEN DO YOU HARVEST YOUR VEGGIES?

have a few eggplants, and cukes that are a nice size, but I'm wondering how long I should leave them on the vine before i harvest them? Is there such a thing as leaving them too long?
Gardening is God's great big or teeny weenie therapy couch!

Margo Hope
The Garden Gal

jmoore

Re: WHEN DO YOU HARVEST YOUR VEGGIES?

Garden Gal wrote:have a few eggplants, and cukes that are a nice size, but I'm wondering how long I should leave them on the vine before i harvest them? Is there such a thing as leaving them too long?
If you leave them a little too long, they will most likely be a little tough but still edible. It's better to pull them a little early than late, depending on what you are growing.

From my (limited) experience, I pull stuff from my garden a little bit sooner than what the seed package says. I rarely get stuff the size of what they are "supposed" to be. Basically if they look fresh and healthy and nearly full size, I pull them.

Garden Gal
Cool Member

Good info, and thank you!
Gardening is God's great big or teeny weenie therapy couch!

Margo Hope
The Garden Gal

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

most of those fruits you asked about especially cukes are best picked a little early. If you pick after the seeds inside have fully formed it is usually too late and they can be more bitter. But as said try them at different intervals. Gardening is a all about trial and error. What works for you might not work for me.

Happy harvesting. :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”