cbar

Need to transplant zucchini

My zucchini plants have taken over my bed and need to be moved. They're huge, probably about 5' from leaf to leaf, and still growing.

Is moving them possible at this point? They each have a couple of small zucchinis on them.

Thanks for any and all suggestions and hints!

applestar
Mod

I agree. You can strategically adjust the location of leaves away from other plants by shifting them and using sticks (I use bamboo stakes) stuck in the ground to keep them pushed away. Careful of the prickles! :shock: Be gentle because the leaf stems are hollow and will kink/break easily. You can also sort out the way the leaves interlock to adjust the way the plant leans and thus, the directions the vines are headed/growing.

Not to be negative, but your squash may soon experience mildew damage, which is often what happens once the humid summer weather gets into full swing, resulting in rapid loss of leaves. Spotted and striped cucumber beetles and Squash Vine Borers other other summer time insect menaces. Let your zukes grow, harvest as many as you can get. See what happens. :wink:

If you ARE seeing cucumber beetles, I consider that the first sign to start spraying with 10% Milk Solution (that's what I inaccurately call it -- 1 part milk 10 part water in a sprayer) as preventive against mildew since the beetles can be a vector.

Good luck! :D

cbar

applestar wrote:I agree. You can strategically adjust the location of leaves away from other plants by shifting them and using sticks (I use bamboo stakes) stuck in the ground to keep them pushed away. Careful of the prickles! :shock: Be gentle because the leaf stems are hollow and will kink/break easily. You can also sort out the way the leaves interlock to adjust the way the plant leans and thus, the directions the vines are headed/growing.

Not to be negative, but your squash may soon experience mildew damage, which is often what happens once the humid summer weather gets into full swing, resulting in rapid loss of leaves. Spotted and striped cucumber beetles and Squash Vine Borers other other summer time insect menaces. Let your zukes grow, harvest as many as you can get. See what happens. :wink:

If you ARE seeing cucumber beetles, I consider that the first sign to start spraying with 10% Milk Solution (that's what I inaccurately call it -- 1 part milk 10 part water in a sprayer) as preventive against mildew since the beetles can be a vector.

Good luck! :D
Thanks much for the replies. I guess they're staying right where they are! And yes, I've seen some of those cuke beetles (squished them!) and have a bit of leaf distress, must go with the milk solution asap.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”