sjohnson9206

Zucchini Question

Like most of the midwest we've been hit by lots of rain over the last few weeks. A few days ago I noticed that some of my zucchini are starting to mold/rot at the bloom end.

I'm thinking it's because the flowers are getting wet and sticking to the fruit, and not drying out fast enough.

Would it be OK to pull all the flowers off the growing fruit? I have some that are about 3" that I'd like to make sure hit full growth.
~ Samantha ~

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Those small fruits simply were not pollinated. You can pull them with no problems....

EG

sjohnson9206

engineeredgarden wrote:Those small fruits simply were not pollinated. You can pull them with no problems....

EG
No... it's new growth that I'm asking about. The ones that I was saying were rotten were 1/2 to fully grown zuccs where the flowers seemed to have started the issue.

I've pulled off most of the flowers for the new growing fruit so we'll see if there's a negative impact.
~ Samantha ~

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Blossom end rot.

https://vegetablegardens.suite101.com/article.cfm/zucchini_blossom_end_rot

[quote]
Why does my zucchini rot?
Blossom End Rot is a disease common to zucchini, which causes the blossom end of the fruit to rot. Per Clemson University, “The main symptom is a dark-colored dry rot of the blossom end of the fruit. Blossom-end rot is caused by a lack of calcium in the developing fruit.â€

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”