iskhan
Cool Member

My brinjal plant not giving me fruits

Hi

I have a brinjal plant of 3ft high and 3ft wide.Its giving only flower but no brinjal. some one say put some wood ash in the soil so do it but no result.
what to do?

garden5
Super Green Thumb

If it is just flowering now, perhaps you should give it some time.

How has your weather been? If their have been extremes in heat or cold, the plant may have postponed fruit-set in order to focus on survival.

It could be a pollination issue, too; especially if you have high humidity and not a lot of wind. When the flowers are blooming, take a male one and hand-pollinate (rub it on) the female ones. This is best done towards morning.

OK, I'll admit that I have no idea just what this plant is, but I'm sure that these suggestions are applicable.

iskhan
Cool Member

Brinjal is a vegetable and it also known as Aubergine or Eggplant.
How to determine male flowers and female flowers because all look like same white color with yellow center?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm sorry, sometimes we all try too hard to be helpful.

You can't see any difference because there is no such thing as male and female eggplant flowers.

"Eggplants don't have separate male and female plants. Neither do they have separate male and female flowers. They are self-pollinating, meaning each flower has male and female parts and does not need another flower in order to produce fruit.
The following link has a pic showing the difference between male and female fruit. I have grown egg plant since I was a kid 35+ years and have known the difference. the Male fruit have less seed or smaller seed and are less bitter. The female fruit has a longer marking on the end of the flower blossom end of the fruit away from the stem. The male fruit has a smaller rounded spot. Some are difficult to distinguish. If you see ones at the market with a noticable longer slit mark where the flower blossom was attached leave that fruit on the shelf.
The plants produce both male and female fruit, both fruit are fine to eat, just that the male are usually less bitter.
https://wintersong.wordpress.com/2008/07/10/choosing-the-best-eggplant-boy-or-girl/ "

https://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_tell_if_an_eggplant_is_male_or_female

g5 was on to something about heat extremes though. Eggplant will not set fruit in extremely high temps that is above 95F (35 C)

https://ucanr.org/freepubs/docs/7235.pdf

The wood ash was a good suggestion. One thing that can cause plants to get large and leafy but not set fruit (eggplant is technically a fruit as are tomatoes) is too much nitrogen, if you use high nitrogen fertilizer (or if the plant is next to a lawn and can receive runoff from the lawn fertilizer). Wood ash provides potassium which balances this off.

You didn't say much about what conditions it is in. It needs full sun to set fruit, at least 6 hrs. Avoid overhead watering which can knock flowers off, but it does need lots of water, 2" a week. It needs deep watering, where you let the water soak down and encourage the plant to grow deeper roots. So water infrequently but deeply.

Hope this is some help... let us know more about the conditions, weather etc that the plant is in.

iskhan
Cool Member

Here temp. is between 10C to 54C.
As you say it required Nitrogen how can I add Nitrogen organically?
In the net I see all the plants having purple flowers but in my plant flowers are white.

applestar
Mod

That's so funny you said that about the flowers. I'm growing a number of hot peppers and when they started to flower, I kept thinking there was something wrong with one of them without being able to pin point the reason... Then it occurred to me that this one's flower was purple while all the other peppers I'd ever seen had white flowers. The variety in question is called Royal Black and has dark purple stems and foliage as well as fruit even when young. I've since found that Czechoslovakia Black does the same thing and am getting used to the idea.

With eggplants, the flowers seem to indicate or give hint to the fruit color. We were comparing notes recently in another thread, and Japanese Black eggplants have intense indigo flowers, light purple fruited Ping Tung Long has pink flowers, and Louisiana Green eggplants have white flowers.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”