C00KiE46

What can I use to get rid of ants in my garden?

This is my first garden that I started. So far I planted pumpkins, radishes, carrots, watermelons and sunflowers. I noticed ants around the sunflowers. What can I do to get rid of them? I water the garden everyday. I can use all the advice I can get. Is there anything else I should do. I still need to plant tomatoes, bell peppers and chili peppers but the directions say to start them indoors. Is it ok to add flowers to a vegetable/fruit garden. I didn't even think about it I just started planting.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

My garden neigbour told me, that he sprays a bit of Bronner's soap in water on the plants and the ants pack up their aphid farm and get out, because they get a signal -it is not tasty here.

C00KiE46

^^^Thanks I'm going to try that.

kgall

I had a big community of ants in my garden this spring. As I have been told ants on their own are not harmful and can help aerate the soil. But They had taken over about 15 sf so I had to do something.

I ended up sprinkling cream of wheat and cornmeal around the garden. This drastically reduced the number of ants and also eliminated my cutworm problem.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”