jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Bindweed

Bindweed, also called Morning Glory

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/bindweed.jpg[/img]

The horizontal root is 6 to 8 inches under the ground. This is why it is so hard to get out. If you dig it deep enough to get the horizontal roots out, you can get rid of it. Just cutting the green off slows it down, but it will shoot right back up.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

If it gets mature enough to flower, does your "morning glory" have a blue or blue/purple flower?
I have had some of that "hide out" underneath some peas and vines before, and it was quite a large vine when I finally discovered it.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Bindweed is usually white-flowered, and the flowers are noticeably smaller than the Morning Glory vines whose seeds are sold in packets at gardening centers.

I've seen each, and I'm sure most of us have, whether or not we identified Bindweed at the time. The ornamental Morning Glory blooms are maybe 2" across from edge to edge and are (usually) variations on purple or "blue"; the bindweed I saw in Newark, California, in an industrial "office park parking lot" had blooms max. 1" from edge to edge. Every one of them was white.

Maybe this will help a little in identification.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Bad couple of days w/Vergil; he developed an infected left wrist (the vet said these things can happen spontaneously, with or w/o surgery :shock: :( ) Wed afternoon/Thurs morning. He's been treated for this + the knee surgery, but max. dosages of pain meds, NSAIDS + Fentanyl patch (!) aren't doing the job, and he can't get to sleep unless he's completely exhausted....

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”