greenpea21
Newly Registered

sad squash plants

So my squash plants were looking like they were developing powdery mildew, and some of the leaves were starting to turn yellow (too much rain????). I read in some gardening books that a solution of water, baking soda and a little dish soap sprayed on leaves would help deter the powdery mildew, so I did that. At this point they still appear to have it but it doesn't look like it's gotten any worse. The yellowing, however, has gotten a little worse. (It's only affecting the yellow squash variety, they are in raised beds.)
:(
Any words of wisdom??

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Someone mentioned a mixture of water to milk at a 10:1 ratio for fungal protection. What's your soil like? Good fertility? Too much rain can wash out the nitrogen in the soil.

imafan26
Mod

Things that tend to get mildew should be sprayed within three days of rain or whenever humid conditions ripe for fungal growth exists.

10% milk works
Neem does work pretty well as a fungicide preventive. I don't like to use neem, but I found that as long as it doesn't get into the high 80's horticultural oil helps to shed water off the leaves
Baking soda acts as a dessicant. I tablespoon baking soda, 1 tablespoon each insecticidal soap and horticultural oil in a gallon of water.
Cinnamon is also a natural fungicide, but I only use it on my orchids. I cant really get it to stick well and it clogs my sprayer.
I prefer to use sulfur, but it is hard to find wettable sulfur.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”