peony
Newly Registered

carrots and beets bolting?

I'm in the pacific NW and started beets and carrots in April, pretty normal timing for us.
My first sowing of carrots was a no-go, so I seeded again. The second sowing was also super low, so I tried again! Now the few seedlings that started from the first sowing bolted, how weird. And, all the beets did fantastic, but I pulled two today with golf ball sized beets that were bolting too.
What would cause carrots and beets to bolt right after sowing?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Both carrots and beets have a biennial growth habit. It is unusual for them to bolt the first year, however I have seen it in carrots almost every year. (A few bolt.) I don't recall having beets ever bolt the first year, but chard will and they are the same species. I am thinking it is something to do with the weather patterns this year.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

JAL, I concur about odd weather patterns and plant behaviors; had some Black Seeded Simpson lettuce go from planting to bolting in a week; while plants were still pretty tiny, sparked, I believe, by a rash of hot weather way too early... seen a lot of oddities like that this year... :?

Warnings all around us...

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I had a bunch of early spring crops bolt way early due to weird weather patterns myself. :x

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”