jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I wonder what variety you planted? Here is a page about short day varieties.

[url=https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/publications/onions/shortday.html]Click[/url]

About all I can suggest is plant short day onions and plant early. February?

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I bought the bag of sets that said...yellow onions!
It didn't have a name or daylength.
The box store gives a choice of red, white or yellow.
And since I can't grow them, I just grabbed one.

Perhaps I need to order onion seeds and get a named variety then raise my own sets this fall for Jan/Feb planting.

bird dog

TZ-OH6 hit it right on the nose. Onions flower the 2nd year and sets are 1yr old when you plant them. I start mine from seed in late July or August just scatter the seeds in a small area thats mostly good aged compost. I move them into rows with lots of compost, bone meal and wood ashes mixed in. They grow like crazy until the cold weather ( December in my area) they then just over winter waiting for spring when they continue to grow form bulbs and are ready for harvest in July. Even planting from seed you will get a few that flower every year these I remove these or just let them bloom to attract good insects.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

My onions bolted from the heat, toward the end of May. Since late May we've been have temps in 90's and upper 80's. Then the wind blew them down despite my efforts with the tiles and the crisscrossed bamboo, it always comes in from so main different directions can't keep on top of it. Just yesterday the wind howled at 30mph for 48 hours straight and another 12. Finally!!! it's down to 8mph which is very uncommon.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Don't trust the local seed stores either. I just grabbed some onion seed at the local Tractor Supply...Ferry Morse Granex Yellow, = Georgia Vidalia, a short season variety, but the package didn't say anything, just gave planting dates for different parts of the country.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I went and picked a few bulbils that were escaping to the pathway for a forum member here.
I put alot more in a box than they requested and used less than half of the escapees.
I can't even tell that I removed any.
So, I have Egyptian Onions, that need to be planted pretty soon, if anyone would like some, I have more than enough to share.
Send me a pm with your address if you need a start of these invasive little guys! They will walk off everywhere! Which is okay with me.

applestar
Mod

Thank you Ozark Lady! :()

I scattered some outside and a few in a just vacated container next to the computer where I'm also starting some eggplants and planting onion bottoms.
One has started growing a root already (closest to the front -- can you see the root?) and I have the suspicion that the 1/2 buried large bulbil just behind it is too because I can't nudge it. 8)
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image7585.jpg[/img]

I've reserved some more to let dry and plant later on. :wink:

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Looks good, you will soon have lots of green onions.
I find they sprout green onions, before they even root.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”