gundogblue
Cool Member

Garden update

Here in northern Il we've had soooo much rain, and my garden is growing BIGGER than I ever dreamed possible!!! My son was joking with me and calls it the monster garden from 20,000,000 miles from earth, my taters are now over 2 ft tall, my corn is well over 3 ft tall, and my tomatoes have outgrown their cages, two of them are between 5 and 6 ft tall they have heavey branches loaded with little tomatoes, and blooms. We had some real hi winds yesterday and they almost blew down with their cages!!! Today if it drys up enough I'm going to have to make some new cages for them out of 6 ft tall welded wire. I guess this is all good, but I never dreamed that this garden would grow so big, it's almost scary, and my peas. beans, peppers, water mellons and onions are all doing equally as well. This gardening thing is so much fun but I hope I did'nt put too much stuff in a 25x25 garden, but when I planted it the starter plants looked so small in it. One more thing, I put my peas, and onions in, in the middle of May, about how long does it take befor I can harvest them, or whats the best way to tell when they are ready for harvesting?
Thanks,
Paul :lol: :lol:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

WOW! Sounds like you are having a great gardening season.

Onions may be used at any time in their development. You can use them when small as green onions, or wait until they have made a bulb. If you want bulbs for storage, leave them in the ground until the tops all fall over and start to dry up.

Peas: Shelling peas should be picked when the seeds swell, but before they get tough. Edible pod peas can be picked when there is pods. You can let the seeds start to swell, but don't let them get too big.

gundogblue
Cool Member

jal-ut,
Thanks so much for the info, I want to freeze the onions so I'll let them stay in the ground, I have peapods now but I'll wait a little longer. But I must admit this gardening is a whole lot of fun, I'm already thinking about next year. The first thing I do in the morning is get a cup of coffee and go out to the garden, it's very relaxing.
Paul :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”