Liska

jal_ut wrote:I don't normally recommend harsh mesures on public forums, since there are too many bleeding hearts and I end up getting flamed.

I grew up on a farm in the wilds of Northern Utah. Produce was our livelyhood. We couldn't tolerate ruination of crops by vermin. Sometimes it is best to just get rid of the pests. If you have any inclination along these lines, [url=https://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/break-barrel/C1K77]may I suggest?[/url]
I actually thought about that. We need it for some of the squirrels in the winter anyway. Except I'm not that good of an aim. Possibly, though! :D
sjohnson9206 wrote:Outdoor cats... mine do a great job of keeping the vermin population down.. if only I could get them started on bugs... japanese beetles to be specific.

I actually gave away a couple to my old boss who was having chipmunk issues around his dam foundation... no more problems.
We have cats, but they're indoor only. There is an outdoor cat that hangs around the house- but since my garden is fenced in the cat wouldn't be able to get in after the chipmunk anyway. :/

Good news is, i haven't seen anymore holes around the garden since i repatched everything up. Hopefully it'll stay that way!
rootsy wrote:Have a boat load of chipmunks around my place... They don't bother any of my stuff... They do get in walls and back rooms and the basement now and again and create some noise...

When they get too prolific I thin the herd with my smooth bore 22 and some birdshot... Rat traps work well too but they are tough little suckers and if it doesn't break their neck upon impact they can and will squirm free... They educate easily also... Each time you miss it becomes that much more difficult to get them in the crosshairs or the trap again...
Whereabouts do you guys perch when you're "hunting" so to speak, out of curiosity?
mansgirl wrote:Jal ~ I grew up the same way. Its also why I grow my garden now. Everything in it is in someway perservable, aside from my zucchini. I just grow that because I can eat it as fast as it comes off the plant. LOVE that zucchini. And even that I can shred and freeze, or bake into bread and freeze the bread. I can salsa, tomatoes, and fruits. (The fruits I buy in bulk when they're in season and cheap.) I freeze jam, beans, corn, peppers, and any dish that I can make ahead and freeze. I also dry peppers and use them for seasoning.

Anyhoot, varmit are not welcome in my garden. We keep a shotgun handy for rabbits, deer, and anything else. Thankfully, we've only used it once, for a rabbit. I even have a "loaded" pellet gun on my dining room table to scare of black birds. I even get one here and there! If I can't control pests, I have to buy alot more produce than I can really afford to, and we end up eating alot less of those good-for-you veggies.

So Liska, if it doesn't offend you, get a little pellet gun and start plinking away! The chipmunks will find a new home. :wink: Or, try putting out sunflower seeds for them away from you garden? My chipmunks are usually more interested in my birdfeeders than my garden. I just let them have at it, they're just as cute as the birds.
I have a bird feeder on my porch :D Except, squirrels have been so messy, some of the seeds ended up on the potted veggies on my porch and are now sprouting. Augh!

rootsy
Green Thumb

perch? No need to perch. I see them, grab the little winchester smoothie and some birdshot and take a walk around the house, barns, etc and pick em off as I come across them. The old crop of chipmunks were pretty skittish and I had to snipe a few with lead from across the yard. The new crop is much easier as they will just sit there and let you approach within 10 feet before jetting...

When I am really bored I take the maglite and the smoothie and hang out in the chicken coupe in the barn.... Plenty of rats and with all of the "barn" cats around you'd figure the population would stay in check... No such joy.

I began my morning with a bang... Got up at 6... Walked outside with the dog and had 2 coon in the live trap... Remington 514 and 2 bangs later I was ready for a cup of coffee... That makes 3 since Sunday. A good opener to coon eradication season around my place. Betting on the total number this year is open for those that want to get in on it... Last year I took 18 coon in the live trap in a matter of 2 weeks... Never moved the trap from beneath the mulberry tree which flowers and provides ripe fruit 5 - 6 weeks before the first sweet corn is ready... This proactive measure greatly increased my sweetcorn yield and chicken mortality for 2009

Liska

rootsy wrote:perch? No need to perch. I see them, grab the little winchester smoothie and some birdshot and take a walk around the house, barns, etc and pick em off as I come across them. The old crop of chipmunks were pretty skittish and I had to snipe a few with lead from across the yard. The new crop is much easier as they will just sit there and let you approach within 10 feet before jetting...

When I am really bored I take the maglite and the smoothie and hang out in the chicken coupe in the barn.... Plenty of rats and with all of the "barn" cats around you'd figure the population would stay in check... No such joy.

I began my morning with a bang... Got up at 6... Walked outside with the dog and had 2 coon in the live trap... Remington 514 and 2 bangs later I was ready for a cup of coffee... That makes 3 since Sunday. A good opener to coon eradication season around my place. Betting on the total number this year is open for those that want to get in on it... Last year I took 18 coon in the live trap in a matter of 2 weeks... Never moved the trap from beneath the mulberry tree which flowers and provides ripe fruit 5 - 6 weeks before the first sweet corn is ready... This proactive measure greatly increased my sweetcorn yield and chicken mortality for 2009
Wow, you have a much more exciting morning than I ever do :D It sounds like all of you have a much bigger garden to protect than I, though! I'm only 8x8 and 16sq feet total.

rootsy
Green Thumb

Liska wrote:
rootsy wrote:perch? No need to perch. I see them, grab the little winchester smoothie and some birdshot and take a walk around the house, barns, etc and pick em off as I come across them. The old crop of chipmunks were pretty skittish and I had to snipe a few with lead from across the yard. The new crop is much easier as they will just sit there and let you approach within 10 feet before jetting...

Wow, you have a much more exciting morning than I ever do :D It sounds like all of you have a much bigger garden to protect than I, though! I'm only 8x8 and 16sq feet total.
Just a bit. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”