Liska

GRRR Chipmunks!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: GRRR. It totally uprooted and tossed of one my two cantaloupe plants! Ahead from trapping them, is there any other way to get them to go away? The garden's even fenced in, but I guess maybe they're climbing up it? I looked around on the search forum thing, and wasn't able to find anything. Then again, it's possible I may have totally missed it.

Also, is my cantaloupe plant now doomed or will it be okay? I very gently made sure it was buried in the dirt again and mounded up a bit of dirt around it.

applestar
Mod

I guess I'm lucky none of the chipmunks in *my* garden does anything like that! :shock:

Liska

applestar wrote:I guess I'm lucky none of the chipmunks in *my* garden does anything like that! :shock:
I so envy you right now! :( I saw it while I was looking around my garden and actually leaped over the metal fence to tuck it back in. I can only hope that it settles back in again without too many issues.. They've been digging around the plants for a while, but this is the first time they've done anything destructive

rkunsaw

I have an electric fence made just for gardens.It runs off a 6 volt lantern battery.If your fence is metal you could just run one wire 2 or 3 inches above the fence and use the fence for the ground.They are not expensive. I've had mine for at least 15 years. I got it to keep 'coons out of the corn,etc.
Larry

Liska

rkunsaw wrote:I have an electric fence made just for gardens.It runs off a 6 volt lantern battery.If your fence is metal you could just run one wire 2 or 3 inches above the fence and use the fence for the ground.They are not expensive. I've had mine for at least 15 years. I got it to keep 'coons out of the corn,etc.
Larry
Wow, that's.. a wonderful idea, actually! What's your setup? I've never done anything like that before. Does it hurt the plants if they end up touching it?

Guess I also need to remember to turn it off before I go in there too :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

GRRR. It totally uprooted and tossed of one my two cantaloupe plants!
The little rascals!

Liska

jal_ut wrote:
GRRR. It totally uprooted and tossed of one my two cantaloupe plants!
The little rascals!
I know! :cry: :twisted: :evil: :evil:

I just got the chance to go out and take a look at it. One of it's three branches is completely chewed off of the main stem, so I'm pretty sure it's gone. I gently upped what was left of the rest of the plant, dug a new (slightly deeper) hole and put it back in ground, both seed pods were still attached. I guess now I wait and see what happens!

rkunsaw

Liska wrote:
rkunsaw wrote:I have an electric fence made just for gardens.It runs off a 6 volt lantern battery.If your fence is metal you could just run one wire 2 or 3 inches above the fence and use the fence for the ground.They are not expensive. I've had mine for at least 15 years. I got it to keep 'coons out of the corn,etc.
Larry
Wow, that's.. a wonderful idea, actually! What's your setup? I've never done anything like that before. Does it hurt the plants if they end up touching it?

I don't have a fence so I have three wires about 6 inches apart. The bottom one is about 8 inches above ground.The bottom and top ones are hot wires and the middle is a ground wire.The hot wires are attached to "T" posts with plastic insulators and the ground is tied to the "T" posts.I use the metallic/plastic wire...much easier than solid wire.Good luck!

pepper4
Green Thumb

I know how you feel Liska although my problem is squirrels. I am just starting to see little peppers and I had 1 bell pepper that was pretty good sized. Went out to check on them this morning and it was taken off the plant laying in the pot nibbled on. :evil: :evil:

Liska

rkunsaw wrote:
Liska wrote:
Larry

I don't have a fence so I have three wires about 6 inches apart. The bottom one is about 8 inches above ground.The bottom and top ones are hot wires and the middle is a ground wire.The hot wires are attached to "T" posts with plastic insulators and the ground is tied to the "T" posts.I use the metallic/plastic wire...much easier than solid wire.Good luck!
Oh! Interesting, I'll have to see what I can get figured out. I already have a rabit guard/fence around the garden as is right now.
pepper4 wrote:I know how you feel Liska although my problem is squirrels. I am just starting to see little peppers and I had 1 bell pepper that was pretty good sized. Went out to check on them this morning and it was taken off the plant laying in the pot nibbled on. :evil: :evil:
Aw man! I'm so sorry for your loss too :( I did put a wire fence around to help keep rabbits out, and it seems to be doing a pretty good job with keeping out the squirrels as well.

On other good news, despite the fact that it almost got sheared in half, the cantaloupe is back in the ground and seems to be recovering a bit. it may have hope, yet!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I don't normally recommend harsh mesures on public forums, since there are too many bleeding hearts and I end up getting flamed.

I grew up on a farm in the wilds of Northern Utah. Produce was our livelyhood. We couldn't tolerate ruination of crops by vermin. Sometimes it is best to just get rid of the pests. If you have any inclination along these lines, [url=https://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/break-barrel/C1K77]may I suggest?[/url]

sjohnson9206

Outdoor cats... mine do a great job of keeping the vermin population down.. if only I could get them started on bugs... japanese beetles to be specific.

I actually gave away a couple to my old boss who was having chipmunk issues around his dam foundation... no more problems.

rootsy
Green Thumb

Have a boat load of chipmunks around my place... They don't bother any of my stuff... They do get in walls and back rooms and the basement now and again and create some noise...

When they get too prolific I thin the herd with my smooth bore 22 and some birdshot... Rat traps work well too but they are tough little suckers and if it doesn't break their neck upon impact they can and will squirm free... They educate easily also... Each time you miss it becomes that much more difficult to get them in the crosshairs or the trap again...

mansgirl

Jal ~ I grew up the same way. Its also why I grow my garden now. Everything in it is in someway perservable, aside from my zucchini. I just grow that because I can eat it as fast as it comes off the plant. LOVE that zucchini. And even that I can shred and freeze, or bake into bread and freeze the bread. I can salsa, tomatoes, and fruits. (The fruits I buy in bulk when they're in season and cheap.) I freeze jam, beans, corn, peppers, and any dish that I can make ahead and freeze. I also dry peppers and use them for seasoning.

Anyhoot, varmit are not welcome in my garden. We keep a shotgun handy for rabbits, deer, and anything else. Thankfully, we've only used it once, for a rabbit. I even have a "loaded" pellet gun on my dining room table to scare of black birds. I even get one here and there! If I can't control pests, I have to buy alot more produce than I can really afford to, and we end up eating alot less of those good-for-you veggies.

So Liska, if it doesn't offend you, get a little pellet gun and start plinking away! The chipmunks will find a new home. :wink: Or, try putting out sunflower seeds for them away from you garden? My chipmunks are usually more interested in my birdfeeders than my garden. I just let them have at it, they're just as cute as the birds.

mansgirl

Oh, and sjohnson has a good point too. Outdoor cats are invaluable for keeping the little buggers on their toes.

Liska

jal_ut wrote:I don't normally recommend harsh mesures on public forums, since there are too many bleeding hearts and I end up getting flamed.

I grew up on a farm in the wilds of Northern Utah. Produce was our livelyhood. We couldn't tolerate ruination of crops by vermin. Sometimes it is best to just get rid of the pests. If you have any inclination along these lines, [url=https://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/break-barrel/C1K77]may I suggest?[/url]
I actually thought about that. We need it for some of the squirrels in the winter anyway. Except I'm not that good of an aim. Possibly, though! :D
sjohnson9206 wrote:Outdoor cats... mine do a great job of keeping the vermin population down.. if only I could get them started on bugs... japanese beetles to be specific.

I actually gave away a couple to my old boss who was having chipmunk issues around his dam foundation... no more problems.
We have cats, but they're indoor only. There is an outdoor cat that hangs around the house- but since my garden is fenced in the cat wouldn't be able to get in after the chipmunk anyway. :/

Good news is, I haven't seen anymore holes around the garden since I repatched everything up. Hopefully it'll stay that way!
rootsy wrote:Have a boat load of chipmunks around my place... They don't bother any of my stuff... They do get in walls and back rooms and the basement now and again and create some noise...

When they get too prolific I thin the herd with my smooth bore 22 and some birdshot... Rat traps work well too but they are tough little suckers and if it doesn't break their neck upon impact they can and will squirm free... They educate easily also... Each time you miss it becomes that much more difficult to get them in the crosshairs or the trap again...
Whereabouts do you guys perch when you're "hunting" so to speak, out of curiosity?
mansgirl wrote:Jal ~ I grew up the same way. Its also why I grow my garden now. Everything in it is in someway perservable, aside from my zucchini. I just grow that because I can eat it as fast as it comes off the plant. LOVE that zucchini. And even that I can shred and freeze, or bake into bread and freeze the bread. I can salsa, tomatoes, and fruits. (The fruits I buy in bulk when they're in season and cheap.) I freeze jam, beans, corn, peppers, and any dish that I can make ahead and freeze. I also dry peppers and use them for seasoning.

Anyhoot, varmit are not welcome in my garden. We keep a shotgun handy for rabbits, deer, and anything else. Thankfully, we've only used it once, for a rabbit. I even have a "loaded" pellet gun on my dining room table to scare of black birds. I even get one here and there! If I can't control pests, I have to buy alot more produce than I can really afford to, and we end up eating alot less of those good-for-you veggies.

So Liska, if it doesn't offend you, get a little pellet gun and start plinking away! The chipmunks will find a new home. :wink: Or, try putting out sunflower seeds for them away from you garden? My chipmunks are usually more interested in my birdfeeders than my garden. I just let them have at it, they're just as cute as the birds.
I have a bird feeder on my porch :D Except, squirrels have been so messy, some of the seeds ended up on the potted veggies on my porch and are now sprouting. Augh!

rootsy
Green Thumb

perch? No need to perch. I see them, grab the little winchester smoothie and some birdshot and take a walk around the house, barns, etc and pick em off as I come across them. The old crop of chipmunks were pretty skittish and I had to snipe a few with lead from across the yard. The new crop is much easier as they will just sit there and let you approach within 10 feet before jetting...

When I am really bored I take the maglite and the smoothie and hang out in the chicken coupe in the barn.... Plenty of rats and with all of the "barn" cats around you'd figure the population would stay in check... No such joy.

I began my morning with a bang... Got up at 6... Walked outside with the dog and had 2 coon in the live trap... Remington 514 and 2 bangs later I was ready for a cup of coffee... That makes 3 since Sunday. A good opener to coon eradication season around my place. Betting on the total number this year is open for those that want to get in on it... Last year I took 18 coon in the live trap in a matter of 2 weeks... Never moved the trap from beneath the mulberry tree which flowers and provides ripe fruit 5 - 6 weeks before the first sweet corn is ready... This proactive measure greatly increased my sweetcorn yield and chicken mortality for 2009

Liska

rootsy wrote:perch? No need to perch. I see them, grab the little winchester smoothie and some birdshot and take a walk around the house, barns, etc and pick em off as I come across them. The old crop of chipmunks were pretty skittish and I had to snipe a few with lead from across the yard. The new crop is much easier as they will just sit there and let you approach within 10 feet before jetting...

When I am really bored I take the maglite and the smoothie and hang out in the chicken coupe in the barn.... Plenty of rats and with all of the "barn" cats around you'd figure the population would stay in check... No such joy.

I began my morning with a bang... Got up at 6... Walked outside with the dog and had 2 coon in the live trap... Remington 514 and 2 bangs later I was ready for a cup of coffee... That makes 3 since Sunday. A good opener to coon eradication season around my place. Betting on the total number this year is open for those that want to get in on it... Last year I took 18 coon in the live trap in a matter of 2 weeks... Never moved the trap from beneath the mulberry tree which flowers and provides ripe fruit 5 - 6 weeks before the first sweet corn is ready... This proactive measure greatly increased my sweetcorn yield and chicken mortality for 2009
Wow, you have a much more exciting morning than I ever do :D It sounds like all of you have a much bigger garden to protect than I, though! I'm only 8x8 and 16sq feet total.

rootsy
Green Thumb

Liska wrote:
rootsy wrote:perch? No need to perch. I see them, grab the little winchester smoothie and some birdshot and take a walk around the house, barns, etc and pick em off as I come across them. The old crop of chipmunks were pretty skittish and I had to snipe a few with lead from across the yard. The new crop is much easier as they will just sit there and let you approach within 10 feet before jetting...

Wow, you have a much more exciting morning than I ever do :D It sounds like all of you have a much bigger garden to protect than I, though! I'm only 8x8 and 16sq feet total.
Just a bit. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”