gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Irish potatoes going down can I plant sweets in their place?

I have some potatoes going down fast, not sure if it is disease or the mass amounts of rain and HOT temps we have had. I'm kinda thinking disease I could get some pics tomorrow if need be.

But I'm going to pull at least 2 of my plants tomorrow I have some sweet potatoes than I finally got to grow from one of my tators from last year. Being as they are not in the same family could I safely replace the possibly diseased potatoes with sweet potatoes? That would be a perfect spot for them with loose soil and already hilled up to a certain extent.

Thanks Dono

applestar
Mod

I had a similar thought and planted one of my rooted sweets slips in one spot in the main Red and Blue potato bed that had been occupied by a Japanese parsley plant I cut down. (Did that convoluted sentence even make sense?)

I'm hoping that by the time the sweets is established and starts to take off, at least the Red Gold, which flowered first, will be harvested.

Don't know about possible disease issue. If you saw my post on Bean/Cucumber Mosaic Virus, THAT particular nastiness can infect both kinds of Potatoes.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Apple I think if anything it might be early blight. The same thing possibly effecting some of my tom's
I need to post some pics to have you guy's check me on this.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

according to [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sweet_potato_diseases]this[/url] sweet potatoes won't get effected by early blight so I'm going for it. I have more in another bed so might as well try.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”