nes
Green Thumb

Atlantic Pumpkins

So my beautiful pumpkin was sitting outside in a pot while I bothered my husband to go and till the field. And bothered him. And bothered him. (Yes, 'nag' would be an appropriate word). Anyway a week went past and he still hadn't done it, and the pumpkin plant was destroyed, whether dog or wind or husband, I'm not sure.

He's very upset as he really wanted his giant pumpkin :roll:, but I'm out of seeds. Do I have any hope of ordering them online (our local seed-stores are all out too) getting them in the ground in time to have even a modest sized pumpkin?

Our frost date is Oct 5th.

For the record he STILL hasn't tilled the field for me...
(The tiller is a big commercial one we borrowed from the neighbour, I have no hopes of pushing it myself, I did try)

applestar
Mod

Oh, nes! That's too bad!! :( :(
I don't know... doesn't it take like 120 days? (I've even read 130 but it must depend on location and adapted source climate) I do have the smaller seeds left in the pack, I think... I'll have to check....

Which would be better? Giant GREEN pumpkins or not so giant orange pumpkins? I imagine you could still curve green pumpkins.

Are there any other good sized pumpkins with faster maturity date?

nes
Green Thumb

That's what I'm wondering...

Or if I can get them up to like a 50lb size, can I get them to orange up by cutting them off the vine?

It was a really nice going plant I had too!! 2 months old, was already flowering, we were going to have some HUGE pumpkins. I have the feeling it was hubby 'playing' with his pumpkin - it's no the first plant he's killed this year... :lol:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well, I'm not sure about the giant kind, but there is still enough time to grow some early maturing pumpkins. Look at it this way, the giant ones are terrible eating whereas the early ones may be small, but they make fore great pumpkin pie.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”