MaryDel

TATERS! Yukon Gold

I decided to make some homemade cheesesteaks for tonight's dinner. I looked in the fridge and the taters were scarred and sad looking. There was no way I was making any oven fries out of them.

My potatoes have flowered, but are still green and standing. I knew I could get at least some small new potatoes and that was better than I had.

It just got done raining the first real rain we'd had in weeks. I grabbed the first plant and yanked it straight up. All of the potatoes clung to the roots. There were about ten of them, from golf ball sized to the size of a medium peach. Not really oven fry material but they'd work.

I decided to pull one more. When I pulled this vine, no potatoes came up at all, but I was amazed to see bigger taters than I harvested last year after die-off, partially exposed.

Both plants were started by the same sized seed, and both plants were similarly fertilized. They were growing side by side in the row. It always amazes me how one plant will outproduce another treated the exact same way.

How big do Yukon Golds get anyway? I've only been growing them for a few years, but these dwarf anything I've ever grown. I still have a few more weeks of growing season until normal harvest time.

[img]https://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx337/Flatfeesh/DSCN0812.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx337/Flatfeesh/DSCN0811.jpg[/img]

kgall

I don't have any answers to you're questions....

Those are some beautiful potatoes!

How long ago were they flowering? Mine are just starting to flower now. I can't wait to have fresh taters!

soil
Greener Thumb

it could be any number of variables that made the difference. but still nice taters! yukon gold does horrible here, but our red potatoes do amazing and give us potatoes that weigh a few lbs each. last year I pulled one up that was 7 inches long and 5 inches diameter.

applestar
Mod

NICE! It sounds like you could just harvest some every week for a while.
How come you uprooted your plants? I thought the usual practice is to feel around the base of the plants and "rob" goodly sized ones.

I did that and got a handful of walnut-sized taters (Red Gold) -- it just finished flowering last week so I wasn't expecting anything huge. Just enough for a taste for the kids and they loved them! :wink: Most of my other varieties All Blue and Adirondack Blue are still in flower so it's going to be a while before Potato Time. :|

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Those are nice lookin spuds.

If you are satisfied with the size, you could cut all the plants off and leave the tubers in the ground for two weeks. This toughens the skins. They will keep longer. Also do not wash if your are storing. Just let the soil dry and brush off.

Yukons can get large.

2007 Yukon Gold harvest

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/totalharvest.jpg[/img]

Did you finish all your weed wacking and spraying. :shock: :lol:

soil
Greener Thumb

thats a nice monster spud you got there doubledog in the lower right hand corner :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Those aren't terrible size in fact I would be happy with them.

But as Soil said I'm going all red next year they seem to be doing better for me as well.

applestar
Mod

Last year I grew Cranberry Red potatoes, which was a delicious waxy boiling potato with red skin and pink interior.

This year, I'm growing Red Gold, which is described as having drier baking quality golden yellow flesh with excellent flavor. Can't wait!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

That is a pile of tatas Ddog. 8)

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Applestar, be on the lookout for any berries on the Red Gold. I would be interested in some seed if you find any. Red Gold crossed with All Blue would give you red skin, red skin red flesh, and purple flesh offspring.

applestar
Mod

TZ, I was instantly intrigued, ... then deflated, because the Red Gold in the main bed flowered way ahead of All Blue. But then I remembered that the potatoes in the Potato Silos out in the front yard are blooming together, and that's where I saw the bumble bees frantically rubbing their legs while hanging on to potato flowers (I assumed they were gathering pollen), so there may yet be some hope! 8) :D

I'll let you know if we get any, and will be happy to send you the seeds as I expect you'll have more success with this than I will. I expect seed POTATOES in return at a later date. :wink:

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I can send back seed tubers in two years or trade different colored varieties sooner, barring crop failure this year.

Most potato varieties have sterile pollen so berries are rare.

Your blue potatoes should produce a few berries from selfing, and the seed will segregate out into different colors as well (I have those growing now).

Growing from true seed is not difficult, it is just different timing from other plants. You can grow out the seed in small containers in late winter and get a lot of micro tubers for planting in the summer, or you can start the seed about the same time as tomatoes and put out plants in the garden. Seed started garden plants just need a bit of pampering to produce well the first year.

Its a lot of trouble for cheap standard white and yellow varieties, but with something like you have you would get the added flavor from the yellow flesh in with the different colors and end up with your own personal lines from just a little extra fiddling about.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Wow, that's really awesome. I love Yukon Gold, but so many people don't...I can't imagine why.

Anyhow, you taters look like the size of the Yukon gold I see in the store. An I do agree, some plants just seem to out-produce others.

applestar
Mod

Thanks for the details TZ! I'm adding them to my Growing Potatoes Notes. :D 8)

MaryDel

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have about 150 plants this year. They are just starting to lay over but are still green. I have been blessed with 2 feet of sandy loam over about 8 feet of coarse to medium sand. I normally keep my spuds in the ground until mid August. I harvest my spuds as I need them then I dig the remainder for fall storage. They keep very well right in the ground and seem to last longer into the fall.

I'll be having fresh caught fried flounder from the Delaware Bay, cole slaw and another big batch of fries tonight. If only I'd had a fresh tomato....... :cry: I be in heaven.

I can't imagine anyone not liking Yukon Gold either... :? What's up with that? :lol:

Ron

applestar
Mod

I want to consolidate the growing potatoes from True Potato Seed discussion, please post further comments on the subject in this thread: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=145014#145014

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Yukon Golds are by far the best potato out there. I hope to build another box and plant just Yukons in there. Question... when is the best time to plant Yukons???
Thanks! And oh how all those look so yummy!!!!!

Hispoptart

Wow we can't wait for ours they are only marble size right now, but in a couple of weeks we will be robbing the plants :) Maybe people who don't like them make the mistake I did when I first had one, by adding the same amount of butter to it I would add to a regular potato. YUCK to much butter LOL.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”