only1swan

Cover the tomato plant?

I researched a few sites about mature bell pepper & tomato plants! I noticed on a few sites that there was plastic over the pot covering the dirt, but there was a Mature plant (full of fruit)

What is the purpose of covering the top of the pot with plastic? Moister for the soil? Should I try it? :idea:)

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like some sort of mulch. Can you post a link to one of the sites where you found this oddity?

only1swan

I hope this works! Ok, see the plastic covering the soil!
www.homesofaugusta.com/tomato.html

https://www.southernliving.com/healthy-living/gardening/garden-designed-first-time-gardeners-00400000008662/
Hopefully a visual is better!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I believe those are Earthboxes, which are watered from a reservoir beneath the soil in the container. The plastic might be needed for them to work properly, but I don't know that for a fact. I just use ordinary containers for my plants.

The plastic covering could serve a few purposes, such as helping the soil to warm up earlier in the year, preventing water from splashing up on the leaves and contaminating the plants with soil-bourn diseases, and helping to keep the soil moist. None of these makes the plastic essential, though. I don't use mulches on my container-grown plants, mainly because they can provide hiding and breeding places for snails, slugs and other pests. But that's just my way of doing things. :)

only1swan

Kisal you're GREAT I went back to the link https://www.earthbox.com/ and that is exactly what it is!

nealf

Kisal is correct; but, I think the plastic prevents overwatering by rain water in addition to all the things he said. One of the benefits, if I recall correctly, to self watering containers is that the plant is able to get the amount of water it needs by pulling from the water basin instead of having to be watered regularly from the top; at least, thats what I'm banking on... I am growing in quite a few plants in "Global Buckets" this year and have them covered with the bucket's original lid with a few holes drilled in the top for the plant and the watering pipe to try to keep rain water and evaporation to a minimum.

Regards,

Neal

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Earthtainers often use a strip of dry fertilizer down the middle. Rain would screw up the slow release of that to the mix.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

People will put black plastic down before they plant peppers to keep the soil warmer, but that's when they're planted in the ground. Your circumstance sounds like it's just because of the nature of the growing container.

oldleo

I think the plastic sheet will also prevent weeds from growing up.

only1swan

I was wondering how that works! The plastic keeping in the moister makes plenty of sense! :D

oldleo

The plastic prevents sunlight from reaching grass and weeds, thereby killing the unwanted vegetation.

The above sentence was copied from,
https://www.ehow.com/how_6002073_using-kill-grass-natural-way.html

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”