oakieskipper
Newly Registered

Banana Pepper Recipe needed

My banana Peppers are out of control . I need a recipe for canning sweet banana peppers. If you can help me out I would be ever so grateful..Thanks bunches and Have a wonderful day......... :shock:

saku

I found this recipe on allrecipes.com last year and although it calls for cucumbers I used it for my banana peppers too. It is for refrigerator pickles, but I believe it could be used for traditional canning. I gave some jars away so I didn't have a refrigerator full. I used less sugar to suit our taste and waistlines. :) We all loved the cucumbers, banana and bell peppers that we pickled using this recipe.

https://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homemade-Refrigerator-Pickles/Detail.aspx

dave103069

there are lots of recipies on the web. You can just simply get a mason jar fill it with the peppers, add your spices (garlic, mustard seeds, onion, whatever you want really) then fill the jar half to 3/4 of the way with white vinegar and then fill the rest all the way to the top with water. Seal it and wait about 2-3 weeks store it in a cool dark place and you should be all set.

I also freeze mine by chop/diceing up my peppers and then lay them out on a cookie sheet and put in a freezer for about an hour and then put them in a container or bag with a good seal and then back in the freezer to store. You can use them when ever you want and take out how ever much you may need and keep them longer.

Hope this helps.

scot29
Cool Member

I second the freezing method. That's exactly how I do mine as well. By freezing them on a cookie sheet first, you get a faster, higher quality freeze, plus they don't stick together. Peppers are one of those things that freeze really well, they don't even have to be blanched first.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

This recipe works well with peppers, too. I leave out the dill and I ADD 1/4 teaspoon turmeric to each jar. It helps the peppers turn that bright electric yellow:) This is a great, GREAT pickle recipe. The lady next door told me she used to take home a blue ribbon at the county fair every year she entered.

[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26435[/url]

Hope you like them!!!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I dehydrate excess peppers.
I simply wash them. Then I slice them into rings, remove the seeds, and then a quick dip in boiling water to stop the aging process, and pop them into my dehydrator.
They dry all shrivelled, but they definitely come alive again, when added to liquids, when I am making something and want them.
You can even powder them for spices!

I like to re-hydrate and add them to pizzas!

mansgirl

This isn't a preservation recipe, but it does use up a lot of peppers. I grew WAY to many banana peppers last year, and this one helped me use them up. It also uses up a few other things.

Stuffed Banana Peppers

1 small chopped onion
1 med. bell pepper
2 c. shredded cheddar (or 1 cup cream cheese and 1 c. cheddar)
1 small jalepeno, seeded and chopped
1/4 lb. bacon
1 dozen banana peppers

Wash peppers. Make slice down side, remove seeds. Mix all ingredients except bacon. Stuff peppers with mixture. Wrap bacon slice around each stuffed pepper. Bake at 375 until bacon is done.
-----
I like to use the cream cheese, just so the stuffing is a little creamy. I also like to up the jalepeno, and use a few more banana peppers than 12, otherwise they seem overly stuffed and kind of explode when you try to eat them. Oh, and low fat cheeses work fine. : )

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

ooooOOOOOooo That sounds great!

the greenest

STUFFED BANANA PEPPERS

12 large sweet banana peppers
1 small tomato, finely chopped
1/ 2 cup finely chopped onion
1/ 4 cup finely chopped sweet pickle
1/ 4 cup finely chopped green pepper
2 small hot peppers, seeded and finely chopped
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
12 slices bacon

Slit each banana pepper lengthwise and carefully remove seeds. Wash and set aside.

Combine next 8 ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well.

Stuff each banana pepper with cheese mixture. Wrap a bacon slice diagonally around each stuffed pepper, securing well with a wooden pick.

Place peppers on a well-greased rack in broiler pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes or until bacon is crisp.

Serving suggestions: May be served with dill sauce, fresh tomato sauce or any sour cream sauce.

Source: The Southern Heritage Vegetable Cookbook

source:allrecipes.com

Ingredients
1 pound bulk Italian sausage
1 (7-1/2 ounce) bag tortilla chips
1 (2 ounce) package sliced pepperoni
1/2 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup banana peppers, drained
1 1/4 cups pizza sauce
Directions
1.Preheat your oven's broiler.
2.Crumble the sausage into a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir until no longer pink; drain.
3.Arrange the tortilla chips on a baking sheet. Top with sausage, pepperoni, mozzarella cheese, and banana peppers. Place nachos under the preheated broiler until the cheese is melted, 5 to 8 minutes. Serve with pizza sauce for dipping.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Not quite banana peppers but a friend of mine who should be a chef makes the most awesome pepperonchini's. He takes a tenderloin (fillet) cut that thinly wraps the pepper with the fillet and then with bacon than barbecues them. They are so immensely awesome. He also makes up a special sauce for them though that is not needed but it helps. Sorry don't know the sauce recipe.

I may have said too much already. :lol:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Go to the grocery store in the canning sections. Buy a package of pickling spices and a jar of bread and butter pickles. Go home and mix the pickling spices so it tastes like the liquid in the jar of bread and butter pickles.

Slice and dice the peppers. I like to add onions, thin carrot strips, maybe some other vegatables. Pack pint mason jars with your peppers and vegatables then pour in the hot boiling pickling spices. Put on the seal and ring and screw it tight then turn the jar upside down until it cools to room temperature.

Put the jars in the pantry for about 2 months then they will be ready to open and eat.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”