sld1390
Newly Registered

lots of leaves... no veg

I recently moved in the fall and this is my first year at gardening here. I have a decent sized garden, 12 x 32. my main concern is I have alot of leaves and not much "veg". I am composting but its not ready. I'm afraid my broccoli has bolted, and my plants have ALOT of leaves but no actual vegetables. what can I do? can I add something or is it too late? do I just sit back and wait for a mother nature to decide for me? please help. I'm laid off and use my garden to relax... its eating me up that I may not be doing it right.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Patience is a virtue.

Some specifics would help us help you. What veggies are you growing?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Like Jim said, a little more information.

Did you apply nitrogen fertilizer. That maybe the answer for lots of foliage and no fruit-vegetables.

sld1390
Newly Registered

broccoli, peppers, squash zuchinni, tomato, corn, pumpkin, cucumber, and beans wont even come up. ive just started picking some lettuce, spinach, peas and green onions. I tested soil everything seems either adequate or just above. ive weeded and used grass clippings to mulch arond plants the last month. ive got compost going but not quite ready yet.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

sld1390 wrote:broccoli, peppers, squash zuchinni, tomato, corn, pumpkin, cucumber, and beans wont even come up. ive just started picking some lettuce, spinach, peas and green onions. I tested soil everything seems either adequate or just above. ive weeded and used grass clippings to mulch arond plants the last month. ive got compost going but not quite ready yet.
Are you saying that they haven't sprouted yet? How long ago did you seed them in the ground? Really, things like broccoli, peppers, and tomatoes are grown indoors for about 6-8 weeks before they're planted outside.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”