EliLeonard

What is eating my broccoli, cabbages, brussel sprouts, etc..

I went out to my garden last night and my Brussel sprouts, broccoli, cabbages and pumpkins all are being eaten by something unseen. I looked under all of the leaves and could find no culprits. The eating pattern seems to be the same on all of them , but I am sure more than one type of bug could be doing it.

Even if no one knows what it is, does anyone have a suggestion of a safe bug deterrent so that I can salvage these before it is too late?

Thanks,
Eli

TWC015

The Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cabbage are probably being eaten by cabbage loopers or a caterpillar. They can be hard to see and some are tiny. Dipel or Bt will take care of these. Bt only kills caterpillars and I think it is organic.

The only thing I have seen eating pumpkin leaves is squash bugs. Their damage looks like small yellow/white spots on a leaf and eventually if uncontrolled, the leaf will wilt and fall off.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The cole crops are targets for a good many insects and caterpillars. I guess they are just very good. Some diatomaceous earth may do the trick for you. Get it at your garden store. You have to be diligent. Apply again after a rain.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Pictures would help. :D

Slugs will also eat all of the above. :(

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I would add to DDF's suggestion of slugs: snails, too.

You'll need to look after dark, with a flashlight, to see whether slugs/snails are attacking these plants. If so, there are TONS of discussions here on how to deal with them. :twisted:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”