shaefins

Mushrooms growing around base of plants

I found mushroom clusters growing around the base of one of my bean plants this morning. They must have grown overnight as they weren't there last evening while I was earwig picking.

I'm hoping this isn't really a problem, more like a nuisance? Anything I should know about with this? TIA!

Info: Raised, off the ground, garden bed; mix of composts, peat and vermiculite growing medium; lots of rain in our area lately.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's the lots of rain that's doing it. The mushrooms aren't really a problem, but they are a sign that your soil is likely too damp and fungal to be really healthy for the beans. What ever you can do (under the circumstances -- I'm having the too much rain problem also!) to help things dry out, encourage draining, will be a help for the beans. Definitely don't want any more peat at this point, perhaps dig in a bit more vermiculite and fluff the soil up some? If you have places that are puddling, dig channels away from it.

A grass clipping mulch would be good or compost made more from "greens" or addition of well aged manure .. any of these should help move the soil biology a bit back towards bacterial vs. fungal.

shaefins

See, now here's where I get confused. If it's a moisture issue, wouldn't adding a mulch be *bad*? Still trying to learn all of this stuff, LOL! Keep trying to remind myself that Rome wasn't built in a day, and I'm not going to be an expert gardener in my first season. :D

I think fluffing is a great idea. My soil mix has *really* settled, and I notice that it stays moist for a very long time. I know that it's draining well, but I guess all that peat is holding a good bit of water in. I mean, that's it's job, right? It's just that with all this rain...it doesn't need to work that hard. :wink:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Fungi grow underground and they subsist on decaying organic matter. The little toadstools are only a small part of the total organism. When you see the little toadstools, that means the fungi have reached a good size and its time to reproduce. The toad stools are where the spores are made that are distributed by wind and water to new places to grow. The fungi break down organic material and leave behind compounds that your plants can use for making food. It is part of the cycle of life in the soil. The bacteria can break down organic matter only so far, then the fungi take over. Relax, nothing to worry about. The fact that you have toadstools just tells me your soil has a good organic content, which is a good thing.

smokensqueal
Green Thumb

I agree with jal. Your ground may be a little to wet but as far as the mushrooms they are just part of the breaking down cycle. I notice quite a few in my garden this spring and more still popping up. I had some HUGE cabbage heads and some really good broccoli this spring and they are also showing up at the base of my tomato plants and I think my tomatoes plants are bigger and have more tomatoes on them then in past years.

I personal like the look of mushrooms in my yard. I think it's cool to wake up in the morning and look across my yard and rain garden and see all the new growth that just popped up over night. Knowing that those little guys are just helping break down all the dead material that's just sitting on the ground so maybe next year the plants will be able to use that and be bigger and healthier then before.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”