Cerbiesmom

Potato leaves turning brown, what's wrong?

I was checking out my potato plants yesterday, and the tops of the plants were turning brown and looked kind of shriveled. I cut them off and threw them away, I didnt' want it to spread. Any idea what this could be? I also thought it might just be the heat, I am in houston. It's been in the 90's for a while now. Any advice/suggestions are welcomed.

rkunsaw

They are probably "dying back" meaning the potatoes are through growing.After they all die back leave them in the ground about two weeks then dig them.I dug mine a bit early because I'm going on vacation,but they were mostly full size.Hope you have a good harvest. :)
Larry

Cerbiesmom

Is it weird that they didn't flower first? I thougth they flowered, then died back? Confusing vegetables.

rkunsaw

My mistake...I assumed they had flowered.You might feel around under a plant and see if there are any potatoes.If they are turning brown and haven't flowered then I don't know what the problem is.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

What variety and when did you plant them.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

the mysterious potato flower. Last year was my first with potatoes and I saw very few flowers. Some plants had no flowers. But I did pretty well with them.

Cerbiesmom

DoubleDogFarm wrote:What variety and when did you plant them.
These were 2 russet type potatoes my friend gave me bc they sprouted in her pantry. I planted them in March. The plants are huge, about 4' above the 20" or so of soil I've hilled up around them.

Cerbiesmom

gixxerific wrote:the mysterious potato flower. Last year was my first with potatoes and I saw very few flowers. Some plants had no flowers. But I did pretty well with them.
Allright, so there's hope! I love potatoes, and I'm so excited about growing my own. And I'm currently not having the problem with my adirondak blues that I have in another bed.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'm thinking it's heat related also. Your forcast is 90's the rest of the week. :shock: Keep them watered and mulched.

bonsai-connor

if it is getting enough water, it could be a potato blight, take a leaf to your local nursery. they should know.

Cerbiesmom

DoubleDogFarm wrote:I'm thinking it's heat related also. Your forcast is 90's the rest of the week. :shock: Keep them watered and mulched.
Yeah, I was kinda thinking that, since my other blue potato gets some shade from my maple, it isn't turning brown. Stupid texas weather. All hot and muggy. I've been watering a ton, but I guess I'll water more. It is a raised bed, so I'm not concerned about overwatering, really. Thanks a bunch.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

If you think about the cultures where potatoes have been a staple, they're mostly cool-weather climates. Not many 100-degree regions have relied on potatoes as a staple.

India, for instance, has traditionally relied on rice + legumes. Although they were introduced to potatoes within the last couple of centuries, even the creative Indian agriculturalists cannot coax potatoes out of a broiled earth.

Even tomatoes have their limit w/regard to heat tolerance.

It's not necessarily a disease process when plants stop growing or give out distress signals. They may just be saying ...¡Ya basta! (Enough already!)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Cerbiesmom

cynthia_h wrote:If you think about the cultures where potatoes have been a staple, they're mostly cool-weather climates. Not many 100-degree regions have relied on potatoes as a staple.

India, for instance, has traditionally relied on rice + legumes. Although they were introduced to potatoes within the last couple of centuries, even the creative Indian agriculturalists cannot coax potatoes out of a broiled earth.

Even tomatoes have their limit w/regard to heat tolerance.

It's not necessarily a disease process when plants stop growing or give out distress signals. They may just be saying ...¡Ya basta! (Enough already!)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
First go-around for me gardening. I am writing down what and when I plant, so that next time I can fix any problems. Potatoes next year-earlier than March. All these mistakes mean I'm learning a lot, lol.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”