Brandywinegirl

Veggies Growing Faster Than Normal in Pennsylvania This Year

Has anyone else noticed that vegetables & flowers are growing fster this year? I have tomatoes peppers & cukes on my plants already! Anyone else notice?? Why do you think that is??
:roll:

SmallFrey Farms

That early heat wave started things off quick!

I have peppers and tomatos producing already and most of my brocolli is finished.

My onions, pole beans, lettuce, chard, carrots, watermelon, cauntalope. and corn are all coming along nicely! :D

GardenJester

Global warming? The warm weather and a pretty wet spring helps. I don't want to jinx it but this year have been just about ideal for growing things in PA.

Brandywinegirl

I don't want to jinx it either!! I pulled up my Rainbow Chard and planted another row of green beans. My cukes are happy and I have seen no sign of cucumber beetles yet, which is insane. I am a happy farmer. Thought it might be the rough winter we had.
Thanks for your feedback.
Even my hydrangeas are blooming!!!
:)

applestar
Mod

Why did you pull up your chard? Chard grows and produces through summer and in the fall cooler weather the colors brighten up again but that's the only clue that the colors had faded somewhat in the summer. They'll keep on trucking even past frost until hard freeze.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I think it's due to the warmer temperatures that have started earlier in the season.

Brandywinegirl

Applestar, I pulled the chard because the leafminers were destroying all of them no matter what I sprinkled or sprayed. In the fall or next year, I wll use the covering to keep the leafminers out.
:cry:

MaryDel

I have ripe hot peppers from a pack of mixed hot pepper seeds I bought, they look like Hungarian Wax peppers. My tomatoes are also ahead of schedule. We had a rainy early spring followed by a warm sunny late spring, so it makes sense.

[img]https://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx337/Flatfeesh/DSCN0784.jpg[/img]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”