mansgirl

My Garden

Here are a few pictures of my garden. Would love any input! :D

[img]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c267/serendipity0220/DSC00766.jpg[/img]

The garden.

[img]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c267/serendipity0220/DSC00769.jpg[/img]

My pride and joy.. the jalpenos. We have 12 plants and all of them are about ready to pick already! :lol: Not to bad for Michigan!

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Wow, you've got alot of room for one! And the land is flat, too. Picking jalapenos in Michigan already? You must've got an early start on them. If I had your garden spot, there would be trellises all over the place...hehe..

EG

Zapatay

yay for jalepenos!! saute'd up with some tomatos, onions, garlic, cilantro.... and then poured over some eggs for breakfast! :)

Very nice plot - I'm on flower patrol because I havent seen many bees around my home this year - You could do a beautiful line of sunflowers :)

Way to go Michigan

mansgirl

Zap ~ Thats so funny that you mentioned that! In one of the flats in the cetner of the garden are 8 baby sunflower plants. I'm just waiting for them to get a little bigger before transplanting seeing as they're going to go along the grass line. I don't want to accidently weed whack them! : )

And yes, I did get a head start on the jalepenos. There were started in my friend's greenhouses. We like to slice them in half, seed them, smear a little cream cheese in them, top them with bacon, and grill 'em. Mmm Mmm. I harvested my first 2 yesterday! : )

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Very nice! :D I just don't have so much restraint to plant so little in such a big space. My little plot is a jungle. :shock:

Liska

YAY! beautiful!

grease monkey

I'd like to see how your garden is doing now.
looks like it should do well

mansgirl

Joy ~ I have to admit I'm not the *best* at weeding. Especially in the later summer months when I feel like all I'm doing besides work is canning. So I like to give my plants extra room so they don't get clogged. Plus I'm pretty shaded where I am, so I like to make sure everyone gets 'their' fair share of sunshine.

And for whatever reason, our stuff usually gets big and jungly. Even last summer we had a horrible, wet, cold summer, and I still could hardly keep up with my tomatoes and peppers. The tomatoes were HUGE. We ended up using 6 road stakes (those green and white things with mile markers on highways) with cable just to keep our 8 tomato plants from blowing over. They WAY outgrew their climbers and it was impossible to walk between them to pick and weed. We live in an old riverbed, maybe we're just lucky and have super soil? I've never tested it.

I'll post more pics tomorrow. We're supposed to actually get sunshine, which we haven't seen in a coons age. Yay! : )

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Is that your green house it is nice and big, I want a bigger one my self.
I see you have an Aerosmith shirt on, they have some thing to do with me moving to Oregon. An old room mate was going on the road with them and said I should move to Oregon and I could use his apartment for a few months; so I moved here.

GardenJester

is that a sprinkler? might want to consider soaker hose or drip irrigation, saves water and keeps the plants dry, cuts down on fungus related problems. mulch also help, keeps dirt from splashing on the plants and causing disease. Got lots pebbles in the picture, rocks in the garden is generally not recommended.

applestar
Mod

Oh I don't know... I would hesitate to give gardening advice to change anything just after she'd said her garden grows so well she has hard time keeping up with it and cans her produce.... :wink:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Wow, that's a great garden. Congratulations as well on your jalapenos.

rkunsaw

Looks great!!! I wouldn't change a thing as long as it's all doing well.If it ain't broke don't fix it!!! I personally don't like soaker hoses.They take forever to get enough water on the garden and are always in the way when weeding or tilling. I put my sprinklers on 3 or 4 ft stands to get over taller crops and reach farther.
Larry

mansgirl

I wish that was my greenhouse. Its not though, its the neighbors. He has a huge flower business *right* behind our house. Its OK having it there though, I think the bunnies would rather eat his flowers than our garden, we never get any.

GO AEROSMITH! : ) They are probably the only band that I would consider becoming a roadie for. I can never get sick of their music.

We've both considered running drip lines before, but just never have. Our brother just built us that tall sprinkler, and we're pretty happy with it. We haven't had to use it since before Memorial Day. To rainy. The rocks are just there, like I said, old riverbed. I don't think I could ever get them all out. The Grand River use to run through here, you can actually see both banks and we live down inbetween them. LOTS of veggies get grown down here. And flowers. : ) I'll take pictures of them, its pretty cool.

GardenJester

hey... like all things in life, all that matters is it's working and you are happy with it. :)

mansgirl

[img]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c267/serendipity0220/DSC00788.jpg[/img]

I added this picture so you can see the shade issue. There is a third large maple to my right. Between all 3 trees and the greenhouses, I have a ton of shade. I'm worried if I mulch I'll never get my soil to dry out a little.

[img]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c267/serendipity0220/DSC00789.jpg[/img]

My tomatoes. This weekend is their one month since planting "birthday." I'm so very proud. :wink:

[img]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c267/serendipity0220/DSC00790.jpg[/img]

One "river bank."

[img]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c267/serendipity0220/DSC00791.jpg[/img]

The other "river bank." Town is that way.

[img]https://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c267/serendipity0220/DSC00792.jpg[/img]

This one I just think is pretty. We have a beautiful farm across the street from us up on the "bank." He grows lots of corn down here in the muck.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”