LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

HUH! Was not aware of that! Thank you :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

They are both C. Pepo. Both pumpkins Hmmmm. :?:

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Har, har, har! 8Ball zukes ARE pumpkins!!! We just eat them immature because they don't look that great when fully mature and hardened (poor orange coloring)
On second thought...Do you have anything to back that up? I have been searching and I can't find any info that coincides with this :) Everything I've read so far says they are true zucchini hybrid. 8)

applestar
Mod

All this talk about The Eight Ball Zucchini reminded me that I have a packet of zuke seeds called 'Round Light of Tuscany'. Last year Johnnys sent a new packet of seeds after my order had arrived already, with a note that the zuke seeds I ordered had been mispackaged and the new packet is the correct one, and that the mispackaged packet contained this RLoT variety. So I have a freebee.

I sowed them yesterday in my New Kitchen Garden where the peas just came out. Now to see how they turn out! 8) :wink:

1chichi

I vote pumpkin.

A while back, I asked the same question about a volunteer in my yard.
I never even thought about it being a pumpkin, because I forgot I ever bought one. The stem is very thick and it's very heavy for it's size.
Last year, I threw part of a small 50 cent pumpkin in the compost heap. Enormous vines volunteered in my yard from that compost heap. There are 4 small pumpkins, out of dozens of flowers. The squash vine borer has destroyed all the vines. One pumpkin is totally orange, but it's soft inside.
This is an earlier pic of it
[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4647570884_e83ffd2e1b.jpg[/img]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”