MARY JANE
Newly Registered

From MARY JANE. Can anyone identify this squash ?

[img]https://img716.imageshack.us/img716/3504/019pau.jpg[/img]

mrsgreenthumbs

Looks like a watermelon to me

mrsgreenthumbs

Oh and good on ya for waiting! I usually pick stuff WAY before it's ripe and eat it asap! in the beginning of harvest time. Can't wait! lol I would have cut it up to investigate!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

It looks like one of the new varieties of zucchini, something like a cross btw Eightball and Gray zucchini.

Probably drop-dead delicious! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

MARY JANE
Newly Registered

When I planted these seeds they were white pumpkin-like seeds. One week ago, when I took this picture, I thought the fruit looked like a watermelon, but the leaves did not resemble watermelon leaves. The fruit is now turning dark green and there are many more fruits coming. How will I decide when the fruit should be picked ?

scot29
Cool Member

It looks like a pumpkin. The ones I grow look like that when they're young, then they turn orange.

rootsy
Green Thumb

That IS a pumpkin...

elementfiftyfour
Cool Member

Ha ha, yep it sure looks a LOT like a pumpkin to me too.

Tate
Cool Member

That is possibly a Tatume squash. I found a picture on the web.

https://www.sustainableseedco.com/images/P/TatumeLG.jpg

Tate

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Uh uh! Not a punkin :D Eightball zucchini all the way!! Lucky, lucky, I would love to have that in my garden :wink: The eightball zucchini look like this...

[url]https://www.schoolgardenweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/squash.jpg[/url]

Pick em small, tennis ball size. They are more tender that way:)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Another vote for pumpkin.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Is is growing on a bush plant? If it is, I'm going to have to guess that it's a zucchini since pumpkins don't usually grow on bush plants.

rootsy
Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:Is is growing on a bush plant? If it is, I'm going to have to guess that it's a zucchini since pumpkins don't usually grow on bush plants.
Whatcha talkin bout Willis? I have quite a few pumpkin plants at the moment that are of the bush variety... :wink: You can get bush variety pumpkin plants for pumpkins into the nearly 20 lbs range...

I also have "eight ball" zukes... They are nearly spherical if not a little shorter on the axis. Whereas this fruit is oblong with a long axis.

MARY JANE
Newly Registered

Some of these comments are funny. I asked a friend from Mexico and she said without a doubt it's pumpkin. Time, of course, will tell. Thank you everyone for your input.
Mary Jane

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

LindsayArthurRTR wrote:Uh uh! Not a punkin :D Eightball zucchini all the way!! Lucky, lucky, I would love to have that in my garden :wink: The eightball zucchini look like this...

[url]https://www.schoolgardenweekly.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/squash.jpg[/url]

Pick em small, tennis ball size. They are more tender that way:)
Har, har, har! 8Ball zukes ARE pumpkins!!! We just eat them immature because they don't look that great when fully mature and hardened (poor orange coloring)

I thought it looked like a pumpkin. If it's supposed to be a white pumpkin, then it won't turn white until just before frost. The vine will die back and the squash's skin will get hardened. That's when to harvest. :)

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

HUH! Was not aware of that! Thank you :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

They are both C. Pepo. Both pumpkins Hmmmm. :?:

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Har, har, har! 8Ball zukes ARE pumpkins!!! We just eat them immature because they don't look that great when fully mature and hardened (poor orange coloring)
On second thought...Do you have anything to back that up? I have been searching and I can't find any info that coincides with this :) Everything I've read so far says they are true zucchini hybrid. 8)

applestar
Mod

All this talk about The Eight Ball Zucchini reminded me that I have a packet of zuke seeds called 'Round Light of Tuscany'. Last year Johnnys sent a new packet of seeds after my order had arrived already, with a note that the zuke seeds I ordered had been mispackaged and the new packet is the correct one, and that the mispackaged packet contained this RLoT variety. So I have a freebee.

I sowed them yesterday in my New Kitchen Garden where the peas just came out. Now to see how they turn out! 8) :wink:

1chichi

I vote pumpkin.

A while back, I asked the same question about a volunteer in my yard.
I never even thought about it being a pumpkin, because I forgot I ever bought one. The stem is very thick and it's very heavy for it's size.
Last year, I threw part of a small 50 cent pumpkin in the compost heap. Enormous vines volunteered in my yard from that compost heap. There are 4 small pumpkins, out of dozens of flowers. The squash vine borer has destroyed all the vines. One pumpkin is totally orange, but it's soft inside.
This is an earlier pic of it
[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4647570884_e83ffd2e1b.jpg[/img]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”