garden5
Super Green Thumb

Squash getting powdery mildew already! Suggestions?

My butterbush squash is barely a month old and it's starting to show a white powdery look on the veins of the leaves. I'm going to assume this is powdery mildew and I'll furthermore assume that it's because I watered from above in the evening.

So, what can I do to help them make it and to help keep the adjacent plants from catching it?

Thanks a lot!

GardenJester

make some chive tea and spray it on the plant, it helps with the mildew.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

GardenJester wrote:make some chive tea and spray it on the plant, it helps with the mildew.
How do I make it?

When do I use it (morning, evening, doesn't matter)?

Will is protect leaves that don't yet have the mildew from getting it?

Thanks a lot for the tip.

GardenJester

Chopped chives, cover with boiling water, let it sit and cool, strain and spray 2-3 a week on cuke, zuke, and other squash. will prevent the mildew. don't spray on beans and peas.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

GardenJester wrote:Chopped chives, cover with boiling water, let it sit and cool, strain and spray 2-3 a week on cuke, zuke, and other squash. will prevent the mildew. don't spray on beans and peas.
Thanks for the tips about the beans, I'll have to be extra careful as they're right next to my squash.

How much water do you use, a lot full pot, half pot, or a little, like a quarter pot. I'm just wondering how strong it must be.

I've also heard about a milk-solution for the plants, anyone have any specifics on that?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

garden5, you've been around here long enough! Type milk solution in the Search the Forum and you will get 11 pages of listings! I know I have typed it all out a bunch of times.

That would be my suggestion, has worked well for me against powdery mildew in the past.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:garden5, you've been around here long enough! Type milk solution in the Search the Forum and you will get 11 pages of listings! I know I have typed it all out a bunch of times.

That would be my suggestion, has worked well for me against powdery mildew in the past.
Ugh, sorry RG, I can't believe I didn't even think of that ! nutz: There must be tons of info not only on the milk solution, but also on powdery mildew itself.

Thanks for setting me on the right track :wink:.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”