GardenJester

what's eating my eggplants?

[img]https://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy112/JesterJames72/0613001835.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy112/JesterJames72/0613001835a.jpg[/img]

Is this something I should be concerned with? If so, does it got a name?

greg1186
Cool Member

flea beatles... I'm not sure what the trick is.. a certain type of soapy wash to spray on it...

GardenJester

thanks, I have noticed couple of those buggers around in the garden with their distinct stripes, but I never caught them in the act, so didn't think much of it. I'm dusting my eggplants with DM earth.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

One think you can also try is combining 1 tbsp. dish "SOAP" (NOT DETERGENT), 1 tbsp. vegetable oil, and 1 qt. of water and spraying that solution on the plants.

You should probably test it on one plant first: if it doesn't do anything, add a little more soap, if it harms the plant, you may be using degergent, find a soap and use it instead.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Arriga
Cool Member

Yes this the work of the flea beetle. However, they are not striped. They are black. A little fatter and rounder than a dog flea and will eat the whole plant. Try Pyola! It works for me but you have to reapply after rain and use the correct measurement for this specific pest. I am fighting a winning battles as we speak. Good Luck!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Had flea beetles on my eggplant this year. I just left them alone, as I'm not particularly fond of eggplant. The beetles stayed on the eggplant and they didn't really mess with anything else( eggplant is their favorite :D ) I considered spraying but I would have just had to keep spraying everything. That wasn't really an option for me, so I just let them have their eggplant! BTW, the eggplant leaves look BAD! I mean really bad, reduced to lace. I have 12 eggplant plants. Even though they look like they have been destroyed, they are still producing fruits! It's amazing what they can tolerate!

I say just leave them to your eggplant! Unless it's the only thing you've got :) if so, spray them :twisted:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”