dubele

Cauliflower from seed

When planting cauliflower from seed in starter pots, do I want only 1 sprout?.....I have about 4 sprouts going in the same pot....they are about 3/4" - 1" high.....should I rip out all but 1??

Thanks,
Doug

applestar
Mod

How big is the pot? I usually start them in community 4" pots, one in each corner. You don't need to "rip" them out. They're pretty easy to separate and up pot, UNLESS the seed stems are touching... In which case, I would use nail scissors or embroidery scissors to snip off the weaker one.

Make sure they're getting enough light -- indoors they should be kept approx 2~4 inches under a CFL bulb or tube for 14~16 hours per day.

That said, if you live in Pa, you're planting schedule is probably similar to mine and (I think) it might be a tad early to start cauliflower for the fall crop ... unless you get first frost by end of Sept?

dubele

Thanks applestar,

Yes, I am early....I'm just having fun...I'll probably put these out in the front of my house. When I do it for real, when should I plant the cauliflower?

My pots are those cardboard-ish things you buy at the garden center....they are about 2 1/2" high and about 1 3/4" square and they taper down.

Does this work?...when I start something from seed, I plant them in the containers mentioned above and sit them on the window sill....They get a good 3-4 hours of sunlight.

Thanks,
Doug

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”