bettyb
Newly Registered

snow peas

i live in north alabama. it does not start to cool off here until late september and can freeze here by mid-november. can i plant snow peas in the fall. how cool does it have to be before you can plant.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would plant them the last week of August. Yes, it may still be hot, but if you wait until much later, they won't be ready before frost. You can pre sprout them by soaking overnight, then put them on damp paper towells in a dish and set on top of the refrigerator for 2 or 3 days. Plant them out when you see tails. You will need about 75 frost free days from
planting seed out till harvest. It takes a little more time for a fall crop than a spring crop.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'd say to start around mid August since in will be at least a week before the seeds even sprout, unless you pre-sprout them, like Jal says. If you do that, it wouldn't be a bad idea to wait til the end of August.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”