jimmykx250

looking for ideas

This year I vowed to try growing different veggies than I did last year. With the exception of tomatoes I have achived my goal. I still have room in my garden and not sure what to plant next. Here is what I have so far 1 pumpkin, 5 green beans, 3 typs of cukes, 5 sugar snaps, 4 different types of onions, 10 tomatoe plants, rosmary,2 pepper plants,spinach,and sald greens. The areea I have open is approx 5 feet square. Is it to late for potatos not sure how to do those or where to buy? Eggplant?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I suggest brussels sprouts. Fresh grown they taste nothing like store bought, and you can let them sit out in the snow until you are ready to eat them. We had fresh from the garden brussels sprouts at Chrismas, and the last one was pulled up in February, but it was a little worse for wear.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Perhaps try some scarlet runner beans? You could fit in a lot if you threw up a trellis.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Gotta have some basil to go with those tomatoes! Basil! Basil! :) :)

farmerlon
Green Thumb

How about adding a "small fruit" to your garden ... maybe a nice little bed of strawberry plants?
Get an everbearing or day neutral variety, and you can probably enjoy some berries this Fall.

jimmykx250

I have strawberries just not in the garden and yes I will do some basil I will try that in a container on the patio. Brussel sprouts might be the answer for me. I will research and get some going asap. Thanks everybody!

applestar
Mod

Is it too late to vote? :wink:

- A 5ft square space *could* grow 6x6 block of corn.
- Have you ever tried Edamame (green soy beans)? Get the seeds specifically for early maturing Edamame varieties (75 days or so) and you should be in the clear. They need to be planted about 18" apart.
‣ Carrots (if you can keep the area moist until they sprout -- or you can use the cardboard trick)
- Nasturtiums (both flowers and leaves are edible -- tastes like black pepper)
‣ One or two bush variety summer squash or winter squash plants
‣ There's still time for early maturing variety melons

I'm going to try planting potatoes now for later crop. I have seeds potatoes that I forgot about in the fridge, but if you want to take the chance, you can use grocery store potatoes for seed potatoes as long as they're organic and not treated to suppress sprouting. Last year, I grew Russet, Yukon Gold, and Red boiling potatoes out of the pantry without any problems. It's just that grocery store potatoes are not certified to be disease-free like those sold as seed potatoes.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

On the subject of berries: how about a nice blueberry bush!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”