scot29
Cool Member

this soap safe for plants?

Hi all. I'm looking for some soap that is safe for plants. I've read on this forum that Bonner's (I think it is) and Ivory are safe. I went to the store today, and I couldn't find Bonner's. Surprisingly the only Ivory they had (other than bars) was dishwashing liquid, so I wasn't sure about that.
Anyway, I went with SoftSoap brand hand soap. I grabbed the plainest bottle they had. What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with this brand, or something similar?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Safe for plants? Good question. I would suggest putting 2 Tbs in a pint of water and trying it on one plant. If you can find some (undesirable) bugs, try it on them too. If it kills bugs and not plants that is great.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Two tablespoons to a pint of water? Isn't that pretty concentrated?

I was advised to use 1 to 2 teaspoons of liquid soap in a quart of water. JMO, though. :)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Test it in a more diluted (rather then less-diluted) form on a small portion on your plants. If it kills the bugs and not the plants, use it across the board. If it kills neither, make it a little more concentrated. If it kills the plants at all, STOP, try something else.

Good luck and I hope it works.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”