Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Nasturtiums and cucumbers -not a good combination?

So I planted nasturtiums around my veggies, because books say that they are good companion plantsa for just about everything, and while I love seeing them and eating them in my salads, I never had such a large aphid population on my cucumbers before. The funny thing, that thre are none on the nasturtiums, which aphids supposed to prefer :shock:
And now, as I googled aphids cucumbers, I got a site that says keep away the flowers, that aphids love, including nasturtiums, away from the cucumbers...
What is your experience?

kgall

I will be curious. I had my nasturtiums on the side of the garden opposite my cucumbers. My nasturtiums were LOADED with aphids and I didn't find any on my cukes...or anything else for that matter. This year they are on the cucumber side....Only 3 germinated though!

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

I guess my aphids prefer cukes...

garden5
Super Green Thumb

It's funny, sometimes things just don't seem to go like they are supposed to. One thing I've noticed is that some say marigolds attract bug, others say that they repel them, so always double-check your information.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”