jadiejo
Newly Registered

Saving Okra Plants

Hi, new here! :)

On a whim this spring, I decided to plant a mini garden in the back yard of squash, zucchini, pumpkins, and okra. The squashes are doing great. A little small, but already blossoming.

The okra grew great for a while, and then seemingly hit a brick wall. There are holes in the leaves, which I assume come from an insect of some sort. Some of the leaves have also started to shrivel. And I've not noticed any considerable growth in the past couple of weeks.

It's in the mid-90s here, so it's nice and warm. But we recently had about 4 or 5 days of pretty heavy rains. So I worried a bit about overwatering.

I've been using some nitrogen-rich food on the plants, but sparingly on the okra. And over the past two weeks, I've been using an insect soap on the plants.

Is there any way to save the okra plants? Can they be cut back and allowed to regrow? Or should I just give up on them?

I can post a picture, if needed! Thanks for any help!

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Okra is usually a very rugged crop, and one that most insects will stay away from.
Post some pics... that may help someone here on the forum recognize the problem(s) that you're having with the Okra.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”