dubele

Will my peas die?

My peas are around 5' tall....woke up this morning and the wind blew them over last night...my trelis is only 3 1/2 feet....so, that is where they "break" is....most have there main stems bent as a L and I am concerned they will die...I was going to harvest in around two days!!

Are they going to die?

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Straighten them back out and tie them up to something and they should be ok. Throw in a couple of taller stakes and tie string between them.

dubele

I don't know.....they are "broken". The main stems are bent like if you took a straw and created the letter L....they will not stand on there own.

elementfiftyfour
Cool Member

It is worth a shot to at least tie them back up. Like hit or miss said, get a couple longer stakes at the ends of the row and just run some string between them. Then you can tie the pea stalks to the string. I have had plenty of pea stalks bend/kink completely over and still survive.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

If they're not completely severed they should survive. Just tie them back up and possibly get some type of extension for your trellis so it is as high as the peas. Yours are bigger than my peas ever got.

dubele

Just wanted to follow up and mention that my peas are still alive....In fact, I harvest a bunch last night and they were great. I will say that the fallen over parts don't seem to be great producers, but I think it is because they are close to the ground.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”