SarahSarah
Cool Member

Eight Ball Squash - Rotting at Blossom End

I don't think it is blossom end rot because not all of the fruit is affected.
Basically, the flowers are rotting and the squash is turning brown and mushy where the flower is. I try to go out and break off the flowers as soon as the fall off easily, but I've easily tossed a dozen fruit this season all ready. The plan is absolutely massive and I'm tempted to yank it and plant some other squash if this will continue.

Any thoughts?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I've had Blossom End Rot on zucchini in the East Bay. Not each zuke on the same vine, but enough to make it **really** annoying.

Here's the url for a good Sticky in the Tomato forum about BER: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25876

I suggest considering the possibility of BER due to the weird weather we've had recently: rain out of season, humid weather *definitely* out of season, cool temps, etc.

Hope it straightens out soon! (the weather and the zukes both)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Vergil, post-op 10 days, sleeping peacefully this afternoon....staples and sutures to come out on Monday

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Blossom end rot is one possibility. In which case, I would be patient. That will usually fix itself.

The other possibility is no pollinzation. Do you notice any bees working the blossoms in your garden?

SarahSarah
Cool Member

I've seen some bees, but I can also hand pollinate if need be. I'm going to head to OSH today any recommendations for fertilizers to help with BER?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”