bnther

Pumpkin is turning yellow -- help

Last year I planted a Jack-O'latern and it completely took over my small garden. So this year I decided to plant it out back in an area grown over between my back yard and the farmers field.

I dug a hole roughly 18 inches in diameter and took out all of the roots and then filled it with topsoil from my garden and planted. Within a couple of days I noticed the bottom leaves were turning a little yellow. I didn't worry about it initially, but now the leaves are a solid yellow and the upper leaves are starting to get a yellow tinge.

I'm going to loose this plant if I don't do something.

Suggestions?

[url]https://gtworkspace.com/garden/[/url]

mansgirl

We had this problem with a pumpkin last year too. It kept growing, it actually got pretty big, but the yellow kept creeping up the vine. Everytime the yellow would reach a pumpkin, the pumpkin would die. We never did figure out what it was, and eventually just junked the plant. I hope you figure it out! Does your appear to still be growing too?

bnther

mansgirl wrote:We had this problem with a pumpkin last year too. It kept growing, it actually got pretty big, but the yellow kept creeping up the vine. Everytime the yellow would reach a pumpkin, the pumpkin would die. We never did figure out what it was, and eventually just junked the plant. I hope you figure it out! Does your appear to still be growing too?
Thanks for the reply.

It does seem to be growing, but the yellow is quickly overtaking the plant. I really think the yellow will overtake the plant before it really gets anywhere.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Did you fertilize?

Did you transplant the pumpkin or start it from seed at that spot?

bnther

TZ -OH6 wrote:Did you fertilize?

Did you transplant the pumpkin or start it from seed at that spot?
Thanks for the reply.

I bought it as a plant and then transplanted it there. I've never used any kind of plant fertilizer, but then I never plant the same thing in the same place twice. Do you think I should put some plant food on it?

It's not very far from the farmers field (corn), about 6 feet or so, and I'm wondering if some of the chemicals he uses to keep the weeds out aren't giving me a hard time.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It is not a bit unusual for nursery plants to turn yellow when planted out. They are not used to the bright sun and it turns the leaves yellow. I would just water it well and give it some time. If it sends out new leaves they should be a good green color. Perhaps a little shade for a week will help. Set something on the west side of it to offer afternoon shade.

Too much fertilizer will also turn the leaves yellow, but since you said no fertilizer, that is not the cause.

My experience tells me it is better to plant pumpkins, squash, melons and cucumbers from seed directly where they will be grown. They don't transplant well, and often suffer severe transplant shock.

bnther

jal_ut

Thanks for the reply.

I had not heard that before, with regards to nursery plants. I have some spinach from the nursery that I've transplanted that I noticed were slightly yellow as well. They do have shade during the first part of the day, so maybe that's why they haven't been affected as much.

I did plant some pumpkin seeds as well and they just poked through today :D I'll watch them to see if they have the same issues.

I dunno. Live and learn I guess.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”