badata2d

Slow Grow Peppers ?

My peppers are now 6-8 weeks old (3 weeks outside) and they are barely 3 inches tall. Is that abnoramally small for that period, or am I just being impatient ?? I planted regular bell type peppers and also hot peppers. Everything else is growing great, this is my one pitiful crop !!

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Peppers take a long time to grow, and I always get tired of waiting on them to produce fruit. It'll happen, just wait on it.

EG

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

How is the weather there? Peppers love the heat, and will grow more quickly when you get temperatures in the high 80s. Remember to keep them water though, don't forget about them. Also, when they start flowering, and they are below 3 inches tall, pick off the flowers so they can focus on a developing a healthy root system and strong stalk.
Why buy produce when you can grow it?
-Nick

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You didn't give them much head start. I start my pepper seeds indoors in February for planting out in April. By that time they are about 6" tall and bushy and much more ready to take off when planted. You want to plant the seeds at least 8 weeks ahead of when they can go in the ground.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

badata2d

The weather here has been high 70's low 80s pretty regularly. I'm in Mass so we wont get much high 80's until July. I clearly should have started them earlier, I just didnt have enough of an indoor setup to fit them with everything else. Next year I'll have to get them going before the tomatoes which are doing really well. thanks everyone for the advice, I'll just be patient !

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Mine are 12 weeks old and about 3 weeks outside and are only a little bigger than yours. As Brian said, just be patient they'll take off before you know it.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

badata2d

I confess. this weekend I bought a single pepper plant at the store, it's about 18 inches high. It's my backup in case mine don't get growing. I do feel like I cheated though not doing it from seed myself. I feel dirty.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

badata2d wrote:I confess. this weekend I bought a single pepper plant at the store, it's about 18 inches high. It's my backup in case mine don't get growing. I do feel like I cheated though not doing it from seed myself. I feel dirty.
Hey, there's nothing wrong with taking precautions :wink:, especially when venturing to the unknown world of from-seed plants for the first time.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”