LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :()

TRADE YA!!!!!!!! :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

The conspicuous consumption of limited Chocolate cake has yet to be accepted widely as a spiritual error, or even bad manners." ~Barbara Kingsolver

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

LMAO!

Nice! It is a weakness of mine...and it has been a looooooong time.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Ask, and ye shall receive.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151403#151403

KAG
Newly Registered

Probably the same on many vegetable gardeners table. I'm in the DC area and tomatoes and cucumbers are ripe everywhere!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Lorax it is so good to read about the different things you grow down there. Gradens are all so different depending upon where you live. Slyguy 2 buckets of peppers already; wow.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Peppers and tomatoes sauteed with onions! :D

pepper4
Green Thumb

Peppers and onions tossed in a salad :)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Peppers and tomatoes :D.

William71

Last night I ate something from my garden for the first time (hopefully the first of many). I harvested my first green bell pepper. My girlfriend had a few small radishes a couple weeks ago, but this was the first time for me to taste the fruits of my labor. Now if I could only get my tomatoes to ripen....

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Does breakfast count? Just did a breakfast omelette for six with peppers, green onions, zucchini (! YAY), tomatoes, parsley, dill, basil all fresh picked from the garden. (Locally produced organic free range eggs).

tomf
Super Green Thumb

We are going to have stur fry with lots of vegies. And fruit pies from the garden. We need an Emoticon with a face licking his lips.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/licking_lip.gif[/img]

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

RG,

If there is one thing equal to or better than tomatoes with basil, it's eggs. I like to make omlettes in the mornings with zucchini, cherry tomatoes and basil too. Especially local, organic, free range, happy eggs :()

DDF,

I tried to C&P that smiley and it failed so...where did it come from?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/shrug.gif[/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/pokedown.gif[/img]

https://www.movieforums.com/community/misc.php?do=showsmilies

ON these Smileys, I had to right click and save picture to my computer. Then upload to photobucket. Then paste here. :D
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/MuleandHowitzer.gif[/img]

Eric

csvd87

patiently awaiting the day I can eat a fresh pepper from my rather small container garden.. Jalapeno`s are coming in, a few peppers starting and about 30 other buds, and I have about 25 buds on my Red Beauty bell plant. Banana Peppers are being devastated by bugs, and my sweet cayenne shrivled up a bit 2 weeks ago, but is making a comeback, and my Anaheim has 1 pepper about 4 inches long and a couple more with only about 5 or so buds forming

:( I want fresh home grown peppers!

sciencegal

I excited about tonight's meal. I have three small heads of broccoli which I'll steam. I'll have a salad with red cross lettuce, a young fresh carrot or two, some tasty bunching onions, raw, thinly sliced baby Chioggia beets, plus there may be a few other things out there to add. But, best of all this will accompany a T-bone steak from my own home grown beef steer which I just got back from the processor a few days ago. Home grown all the way! :D

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Today will be pink eye peas with tomato, green peppers and onions diced on top. I'll have okra and creamed corn. We picked it all today or yesterday.

lorax
Greener Thumb

I'll be going with a 7-leaf salad of red and green Romaine lettuce, dandilion greens, radiccio, gallant soldiers, quinoa greens, and beet greens, with baby carrots from the second cycle thinnings and some wild-harvested bolete mushrooms. With that, fried green tomatoes in blue cornmeal, and chicken soup.

MaryDel

Had some homemade spaghetti sauce with sweet italian sausage last night. My wife could not believe how good the sauce was. Neither could I. After 25 years of tinkering around with pizza, meatball and spaghetti sauces, I've finally got it right. Fresh garlic, basil and onions, and three kinds of peppers, sweet, hungarian and jalapeno....mmmmmmmmmm

applestar
Mod

Today's lunch :wink:
Sandwich: Toasted Kaiser roll halves slathered with freshly picked and made basil pesto (made with lime basil* and sweet basil*, recently harvested garlic*, and overmature shelled fresh beans* and peas* instead of nuts. For cheese, I used aged Gruyere), BIG slices of perfectly ripe Cherokee Purple tomatoes*, bacon, and slices of young eggplants* sauteed in the bacon grease. YUM YUM!! :()
* from my garden :wink:

gaberdeen

Just sat down to a dinner of sauteed eggplant with some bacon and swiss chard. MMM good.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

We will have our very first edible from the garden for 2010, we will each get a Risentraube cherry tomato with our dinner tonight... rationing... but that is all there is.

Can I cheat? I also milked, made more yogurt, and buttermilk, I will probably make some cream cheese out of some of the milk for supper snacking or maybe sour cream for some baked (store bought potatoes).

I also picked more elderberries for jam, jelly, wine, and flavoring my yogurt.

And I harvested some tobacco leaves to wash and hang to dry.

applestar
Mod

I knew I had a head of cabbage in the fridge that needed to be eaten. It was in a brown paper bag inside a plastic bag. So I defrosted a package of loose Italian sausage and told DH that I will be making an UNstuffed cabbage. I started out browning the meat and added several cloves of crushed garlic. Then added some store bought washed dry rice. When I unbagged the cabbage, however, it turned out to be a Red Acre cabbage (in perfect condition :D). So I used Wethersfield Red onions to match. Some carrots that could have been from the garden, but I didn't feel like going out to dig some up. Then for tomatoes, I decided to go with Yellow Bell plum tomatoes that I had a pile on the counter and was going to can soon. Its soft light yellow color contrasted beautifully with the red/purple of the cabbages and onions. Feeling like it needed some green, I added a green Quadrato d'asti pepper and two green Anaheim New Mexico peppers. Yum, yum! :()

BTW, I added too much rice, so I had to keep adding water, and the dish turned into a sort of risotto. DH loved it. :wink:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

A hamburger topped with only garden-fresh toppings :D......Ok, except for the ketchup :roll:.

applestar
Mod

LindsayArthur posted a ketchup recipe in "My favorite canning recipe" thread. :wink:

lorax
Greener Thumb

I had seared Mahi-Mahi in lime-butter sauce with sauteed diced fresh green half-hot peppers, mushrooms, celery, sweet red onion, and small Fresita tomatoes, a seven-leaf salad with more of the tomatoes, and some wild rice cooked in boullion with fresh green peas and a bit of leek.

For desert, I had a slice of coconut-plantain cake, but it doesn't count as from-garden because my plantains are still too small to make fruit.

philm00x

We made margherita pizza with basil from our garden last night! our tomatoes aren't ripe yet so we had to buy some from the store. it was delicious though!

[img]https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs211.snc4/38870_10150226123805022_614475021_13874284_3707281_n.jpg[/img]

Thomas CA

Last night I ate chilled Farfalle with fresh cherry tomatoes, basil, and arugula from the garden, topped with crumbled ricotta and a drizzle of olive oil.

MaryDel

Sweet Corn Pizza RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

At first, my wife and kids looked at me like I was some sort of nutbag, but both have now requested sweetcorn pizza the last three times.

I either make my own pie, or have Sal's (Pizza God) cook me a pie 1/2 way baked and unsliced. I get home, top it like I want and put it on the top rack at 430^ for 8 minutes or so.......

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....time for another slice

garden5
Super Green Thumb

OK, now I'm curious, what role does the sweet-corn play on the pizza? I mean, does it replace anything, or do you put it right in with the cheese and pepperoni? It does sound strangely tasty.

applestar
Mod

I already have way too many tomatoes on my counter. So I made some room by making tomato jam. I saw LindsayArthur's chutney like recipe, but I wanted a simple one and found one that only called for tomatoes, lemon juice, sugar and pectin. I used my sweetest toms: Sugar Plum, Principe Borghesi, and Japanese Black Trifele (well JBT isn't really all that sweet but it does have nice intense flavor). Didn't have lemon so used fresh frozen lime. Had some on crackers for snack. :wink: Mmm, mmm. I really think this taste a lot like strawberry jam. If I put it in a sandwich with peanut butter, nobody would know the difference. :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Whatsa matta you, can't you spell Borghese :D

Japanese Black Trifele, is actually from Russia.

I've grown both and do very well hear.

The dark tomatoes are Black Trifele.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC01170-1.jpg[/img]

Eric

applestar
Mod

Slip of the finger... left brain fired before right...ee ai ee ai oh! :>

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

no no no :!: E-I-E-I-O , Old MacDonald had a farm :lol:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well, I picked a huge batch of pole beans the other night, they are finally starting to come on. Oh, and some tomatoes and cucumbers in with a garden salad were great as well.

applestar
Mod

We had one of my "I'll never be able to make this again" pot luck soup/stew today. It was SOOOOO GOOOD!!!! :() I'm just going to list the ingredients here in case it'll help jog my memory. :wink:

It started with a frozen fillet of wild salmon DH had special ordered from Alaska. Well, actually it started with me going out to pick the tomatoes before rain started and not having room to put them down. I gathered up all the bruised, cracked, and bug-hole damaged tomatoes -- mostly full and almost too ripe Bulls Heart, Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye, Brandywine Sudduth, Black and Brown Boar, Kumato, Yellow Bell, Principe Borghese -- cut out the damaged parts/stem ends and quartered. They went in the pot with the salmon, no oil or liquid, and as the tomatoes cooked, they FILLED the pot with juice.

Normally when I make one of these left over pot lucks, nobody else eats it, but the salmon and the tomatoes started smelling so good that I added 1/2 fillet of Striper that DH had caught earlier in the summer. 1 small yellow bell pepper (Quadrato d'asti Giallo) had a bruise so that went in all chopped up, and I added 1/4 of bright minced red Jalapeno M. Then I went through the fridge and pulled out Provider green beans, Yellow Pencil Pod beans, and Purple Podded Pole beans. Some were over mature so they were green shelled and others went in as snap beans along with a finely chopped young American Flag or Carantan leek leaf.

This was starting to look rather good and DH was going to want his share. I rummaged around in the freezer and came up with a bag of Alaskan King Crab legs. I put a few in, then decided this might actually get the kids' attention as well, so put in some more.

I added one small All Blue or Adirondack Blue potato diced, then realized if I I'm adding potatoes, I'd better add enough for the DD's, so 3 more blue potatoes went in along with some small Diablo Brussels sprouts and 1 diced Royal Chantenay carrot. At this point I knew there HAD to be celery in here -- I went out in the rain and mosquitoes and picked two stalks of Golden Pascal Celery -- leaves and stalks finely chopped went in.

The fish were done but the rest of the soup needed to cook some more, so I "fished" them out :wink: and reserved them so they wouldn't overcook or fall apart in the soup.

I then got an overwhelming urge to put more peppers in and remembered the recent threads on Chiles Rellenos and roasted peppers. I happened to have a nice green Anaheim NM in the fridge, so I de-seeded and de-membraned it and put it in the toaster oven to broil. 5 minutes on each side and it was nicely charred. The skin came off in one piece like a thick piece of vellum. Skinned pepper was roughly chopped.

When I went out for the celery, I accidentally knocked over an immature Dill seed head. So I plucked off some of the immature seeds and put them in. I did look for thyme on the way back inside but the thyme patch in the back yard is being overrun by the peppermint so I didn't get any. But I'd added so much more to the soup that I decided it could take a little more heat, and added another 1/8 of the red ripe Jalapeno M finely diced.

The pièce de resistance for this soup was the seeds that were left in the food mill after making Homemade ketchup with all the ripest Volunteer cherry, Sugar Plum grape, and Principe Borghese tomatoes and several onions yesterday. I couldn't bear to throw out the 3 Tbs or so of seeds all coated in the rich sauce so I'd saved them. This was dissolved in some hot water and added to the soup at the end. The ketchup and the AKCL added enough salt that I didn't need to add any more. The fish went back in just before serving to heat up again and to get separated into chunks.

We had three torpedo rolls (Italian) in the freezer and that was just the thing. They were baked in the toaster oven to defrost and warm into nice crusty bread.

MMM mmm YUMMM!!! Was that good! I don't know if this can be called Bouillabaisse -- I think there are specific requirements to be called that. But whatever it was -- a homemade Seafood Soup/Stew with homegrown veggies -- it was great! :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Every once in a while, and you never know when, it happens: you throw something together with ingredients you can't full remember, in amounts never measured, anticipating it will taste mediocre, only to find it incredible and unrepeatable....it happens to all of us.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I ate my first Delicious tomato yesterday. Then I ate another one. I've been around for a long, long time -- grew up on a farm and everything -- but I never knew a tomato could taste like that. Wow!

The taste is indescribable, not really tangy, although there is a decided tang, but sweet, too. I've never seen so many cells in a tomato before, either, maybe 20? They were so good. I wanted to glut myself on 'em. These were worth the wait, and I'm going to try a few again next year, when our weather will be perfect for a Diva like this.

I just went out to check the plants to see when I could eat some more. Sigh. It will be at least two, probably three days, before I can eat another tomato. I'm going to wait until I have at least three of 'em. Then I am going to slice them really thick and sprinkle them with sugar.

Mmmmm.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”